icon

wiring ten 10 subs to amp/amps.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gcosse05 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, newbie here. Graduate of IIT audio in Orlando. M.E.C.P certified. I feel stupid for needing help with this but im about to throw something at my dog if i dont get this right. i guess with so many subs, its getting to me. I am installing TEN 10" 4ohm DVC RE audio subs in a Nissan Titan.Im gonna break it down like this... Gonna have 2 banks of subs, 5 on each bank... each bank will be wired by connecting the two voice coils of each driver in series (+to-) and the drivers themselves in paralell (+to+). Which in turn will result in 1.6ohm on each bank. Now, when i connect the 2 banks together at the amplifier, is my impedance going to go in half to 0.65ohm? or will it double to 3.2? RE audio told me wiring them like that it will make the iimpedance double, which is what i want, but i just cant see it happening!!! Do I have the right idea? Am I doing this wrong? Options for amps are still open too. I can use 2 amps, or just 1 big one. Whatever is gonna help me get a nice ohm load at the amp/amps. any help would be apprecieated guys. Plz let me know whatever ur thinking about this. Thanks alot in advance.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 2:54 AM / IP Logged  
Well... To start, half of 1.6 is .8, not .65...
If you can find an amplifier that is .5 ohm stable, you'll be diamond. (Think old-school, Orion 225HCCA) Otherwise, at 3.2 ohms, any amplifier in the world will work. Will you get a ton of power? Not likely (think 100 to 200 watts per woofer), BUT you'll be exceptionally linear in that power range, and it'll still get loud-ish.
If that's not enough power for your tastes, then get a 1-ohm stable amplifer for each woofer bank.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
gcosse05 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 5:37 AM / IP Logged  
Ha, yea it had been a long day. Sorry for the kindergarten mistake. Anyway, what I'm trying to find out, is when I put the two 1.6ohm leads (one from each bank) together at the amp, now what is my impedance?? Like I states before, RE claims my impedance will double, not half. Man idk. Guess I'll have to break out the alligator test leads and wire em all up like he said and put my meter at the end result to see what kinda amp setup imma need.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
If you wire each bank as a 1.6 ohm load, (a bank of five, DVC woofers wired in series for the equivalent of five 8-ohm woofers, wired in parallel, that's 1.6-ohms) if you parallel them at the amplifier terminals, it'll be .8-ohms. If you wire them in series at the amplifier terminals, it's 3.2-ohms.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
gcosse05 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
EXACTLY what i thought!!!! So, on to the next problem lol. what would you reccomend for amp/amps? i now have some options since you have helped me clear up my ohm load. Should i get ONE big nasty mono block and run it at .8 ohms? ONE big 2 channel and series them (one bank on each channel) for a load of 3.2? Get TWO amps and let each bank have its own amp? im ready to order the amp/amps NOW!!! Wires are ran, voltage mods complete, box is built... all i need is the amp/amps!!! And one question, on a mono block amplifier, it has 2(+) and 2(-) speaker outputs. but theyre not defined as different channels are they? So in other words, if i put bank 1 to one pos and neg, and bank 2 on the other pos and neg, the amp will still see .8ohm correct? Im really apprecieating the help buddy.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
I'd run one mono amp per side.  What's your dollar and your power budget?
Support the12volt.com
gcosse05 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
I've got power, and money isn't really an issue. I just really would hate to have to run 2 amps. I'd rather keep it simple ya know?
fiberglasslvr 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2012 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  

Depending on how much power you need to run there are a few mono amps that will do alot of power at 3-4 ohms.

a couple that i can think of

Rockford Fosgate T2500BD around 1500RMS at 4ohm

Kicker ZX2500.1 about 1250RMS at 4ohm

if you need crazy amounts of power you could try

Kicker Warhorse 5000 RMS at 4 ohm

Soundstream XXX15000D 3750 at 4ohm

in process of changing everything
gcosse05 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
Well. What would you do? I'm starting to get aggravated with it. I'm running the REX series woofers by RE. I only need 1750 watts for the whole system. I wish I could find an amp that would run consistent at .8 ohm, so I can put em all on one amp.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 18, 2012 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

Use Dyohn's advice on amps.  Two aren't necessarily more complicated than one.

When you start getting aggravated, it's time to shut down the project until you can approach it relaxed.  Understand?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic