icon

stream music via usb?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cbzdel 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2012 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
Hello, I finally got up to date in the world and picked up an Android Phone :) In my truck I have a new Kenwood head unit but it is a lower end model, but it does have a a USB input, and I can put in any MP3 player, iPod, or even a memory stick. A friend told me about these things called USB Bluetooth Dongle. He said I may be able to get one of these and plug it into my USB input and then I would be able to wirelessly stream my music from my phone. Does anyone know if this is true or not?
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
If ur HU has a USB and when u plug ur Droid up and it says its connected go a computer and ask if you Want to connect you can. Another way is to get a RCA 3.5 mm y connector and use a aux input on ur HU but you will have to control ur andriod o change songs not ur HU
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2012 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
If your deck AND the USB Bluetooth interface supports the A2DP protocol, then yes, you should be able to. The phone DOES already support this functionality, but it's has to be connected to a compatible system for the process to work as you want it to. (By the way... it's not a dongle. A dongle is a security device, without which, a piece of software will not run on a PC.) The deck will most likely NOT be compatible, as the deck will not have the appropriate drivers built in to make the USB Bluetooth work. (Think plugging it into a computer and NOT installing the drivers...)
If the deck didn't COME with Bluetooth, I doubt it's going to work that easily, if at all...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2012 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
no no not an PC I'm saying the phone will think its connected to a PC because the screen will change and ask you to mount your phone .
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2012 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
I didn't say that, either. What I *said* was this:
If it isn't the USB Bluetooth device DESIGNED for the head unit, it probably won't function at all. The drivers (if present inside the head unit) are most likely for the manufacturer supplied Bluetooth device. It will behave the same as a Bluetooth device plugged into a computer, but without the drivers installed within the operating system. Sure, it will know something is there, but it will not DO ANYTHING with it - it'll remain connected and powered up, but it's an "unidentified device"...
As far as USB connectivity with the Android devices, the phone itself can be configured for:
1: PC Mode
2: Windows Media Sync
3: USB Mass Storage (the option he'll need)
4: Charge Only
Once configured for USB Mass Storage Device, the deck will see the phone as a USB thumb drive, and play the music files from it seamlessly.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
That's what I meant about the USB connectionn i just didn't word it as good as you did
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic