icon

2007 explorer defrost connection

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mhocken 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2012 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
It seems when I had my 5101 installed in my 2007 Explorer at Best Buy they did not hook up the defrost wire. I want to hook up my Viper 5101 RS to turn on the defrost following remote start when the temp is below 55 degrees (temp sensor part of 5101). The 5101 has a status 2 output that is to be used for this purpose. It has two settings (1) latch rear defogger and (2) pulse rear defogger. I need to know where to connect wire #5 (blue/white) on the remote start input - 5 pin connector. Per the install manual, this wire supplies a 200mA output as soon as the module begins the remote start process. The Blue/White wire can also be used to activate the defogger trigger (latched/pulsed) 10-seconds after the remote start engages. (See the Feature Descriptions, Menu#3, feature 11 for details about programming this output.)
Question: Where do I connect this wire on a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT V8. I have searched the wiring diagrams and have not found anything regarding the wiring of the defrost. Is it as simple as attached the wire to the correct side of the defrost switch and use in pulse mode to simulate pushing the defrost button?
So far I have found two opinions on this subject:
(1) from a 2006 explorer post - a negative pulse to a blue/gray wire at the smart junction box drivers side. Pin7 in a 32 pin connector LONG ONE
(2) from a 2002 explorer post - Dark blue/Orange   NEG(-) at the switch
Any advise would be appreciated.
Also, I would like to turn on the heated seats also. Any thoughts on how to do that?
reyhb 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
I cant post you a pic because of the rookie status of the Mitchel 1 wiring diagram of the defogger circuit but it is the blue/gray wire and its a negative pulse at pin 7 to activate the rear window defogger relay which will also turn on the side mirror defoggers. For the heated seats you have to just leave the switch on before exiting the car.Seats are only controlled by the manual switch and seats only come on when the key is in run or the car started
mhocken 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2012 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info.
My heated seats use a momentary button much like the defroster. Can't just leave it on. I'll break out the multimeter and see what I can find when the button is pushed. I suspect I will have to pulse a signal to latch the heated seats on.
mhocken 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2012 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
I have a stupid question. Where is the smart junction box and the 32 pin connector. Can't find it on the drivers side. Any one have a pic?
mhocken 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2012 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
found it

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic