passlock ii bypass 2003 grand am

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
louvern 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
LONG VERSION: I recently purchased the Avital 4111 remote start system for my 2003 Grand Am, along with the installation package at Best Buy. After some research, I learned that I would need a module to bypass the security system (Passlock II) and I purchased the DEI 555L, which is made specifically for GM automobiles using the Passlock I or II system.
When I called Best Buy to schedule my installation, they told me they would be unable to install the DEI 555L because they did not have the firmware or the cable to hook up the module to the computer to program it for my car. Instead, they want me to purchase one of theirs ($100 +$30 installation, the same total price I paid for the remote start system+install!) so they would be able to install it.
However, it seems to me that since the bypass I purchased was made specifically for the type of security system in my car, that the firmware should come pre-loaded. Also, there is no port to plug in any cable other than the 8-pin connector for the wiring of the unit. I think they should still be able to install it with no problems, but I wanted to make sure I knew what I was talking about first.
SHORT VERSION: Does the DEI 555L come with preloaded firmware for the Passlock II system on a 2003 Grand Am?
Thanks in advance.
pts760 
Copper - Posts: 403
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
LOL! You don't have to hook the 555L up to a computer for vehicle specific firmware. The 555L comes ready to go out of the box. The 555L automatically learns the passlock II code from the vehicle. So either a.) Best Buy is telling you this because they don't want to install your bypass and want to make a profit off one of their's or b.) they don't know what they are talking about and I would be hesitant on letting them touching your vehicle. All-in-all they are full of it.
I drink current, eat ohms, and bleed voltage
ropuma 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2012 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
If you have a problem with this bypass use "INTL +" FROM FORTIN
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2012 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
any installer would rather install stuff they are familiar with. they would most likely use an idatalink piece. also, their piece would be newer, and control more features through data/mux. less wiring involved for them.
the 555l should work though.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
metz35 
Copper - Posts: 458
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2012 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
Not should. WILL work
muaiad97 
Copper - Posts: 207
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2012 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
i allways use  int-sl+ does very good jobe  also it control the door locks and the trunk
metz35 
Copper - Posts: 458
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2012 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
Why waste such an expensive part on such an easy car?
pts760 
Copper - Posts: 403
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2012 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
metz35 wrote:
Why waste such an expensive part on such an easy car?
Totally agree
I drink current, eat ohms, and bleed voltage

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic