icon

Stereo Wiring Info, 1985 Toyota Pickup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
systm13 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2012 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
Was looking up wiring stereo wiring info for an 85 Toyota pickup and the colors listed are incorrect https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/2108.html here is an example:
Left Front + : Pink..Toyota service manual lists LG-Y
Left Front - : Purple..LG-B
Right Front + : Green..LG-R
Right Front - : Blue..LG
I have used these same diagrams from The12volt in the past and they had the correct colors listed, did something change or am I missing something?
Thanks,
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2012 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
The colours listed are standard speaker colours on ALL Lexus/Toyota since about 91.
systm13 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2012 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
I'm working on a 1985 Toyota Pickup, the colors listed in the link I provided above do NOT match what is in this truck, or my 1987 Toyota Pickup. Not only do the speaker colors not match the power/ground colors do not match either. All of the front speakers that are in the truck harness are light green.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2012 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
There will always be discrepancies, hence always verifying wiring before making any connections. Have a peek at this: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~74637~PN~1
Stereo Wiring Info, 1985 Toyota Pickup -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2012 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
Probably moot anyway, my knowledge of them (dealer contract work at the time) goes back to 91.
Any vehicle from the 80s is probably irrelevant, how many are we going to see in North America or Europe?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2012 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
Just read the administer's link, wholeheartedly agree and would add that that's what I did for at least 30 years with a good old Snap-On test light let alone a meter.
In fact I'm now thinking back to the mid 80s when those Toyota colours were the same, far as know, they've never changed.
I only used a meter to test continuity.
I even used to test polarity by looking at the speaker cone movement.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2012 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
And of course using Mr. Snap-On connect croc clip side (I believe you call them Alligator clips which figures), to suspect wire and other side to 12v+. If correct antenna will raise, if incorrect no harm done.
I STILL use Mr. Snap-On to find the phone mute. Contrary to belief, even on the latest quadlock (MOST) set-ups, phone mute wanders all over the place; so much for standardisation. 05 or thereabout Mercedes even have a different speaker pin position to EVERYTHING else from Europe.
systm13 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2012 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
I always verify my wiring, The only reason for using the diagrams here was for quick reference. I have used them (diagrams) in the past for the 80's Toyota's and the were correct at one time, just wonder when they were updated/changed. retired my test light and use a Power Probe, great tool.
systm13 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2012 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
Constant 12V+ BLACK/ White
Switched 12V+ RED / Green
Ground        WHITE/ Black
Left Front +   Light GREEN/ YELLOW
Left Front -   Light GREEN/ Black
Right Front + Light GREEN/ Red
Right Front - Light Green
Rear speakers use the same colors as the front.
Information taken from The Toyota service manual.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic