icon

sub box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
loudnoise123 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2012 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
I have two 10" kicker comps (4ohms) in my truck box. I am running a crunch powerone P1-1000.2 1/2 channel amp.They are wired in series. I have done my best to tune the amp to get a deeper sound but it's mainly all highs and mids, I am constantly tuning the amp, I can't seem to leave it and listen to one song, then go to the next without having to change the settings. I get a shallow sound whenever i listen to deep rap. Is there spmething wrong with my box? The subs? Or the amp? if you need more info just ask and ill do my best to come up with the answers.
Here's a pic of it
Mobile Uploads :: IMG_5027.jpg picture by loudnoise12 - Photobucket
loudnoise123 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2012 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
sub box -- posted image.
Here's a photo actually
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2012 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
probably too much airspace in that box for those subs. i know that sounds strange because its a small truck box but i think that might be part of the problem.
its also possible you have the amp set wrong. can you list the amp settings and what each one is set to?
also you could have one of the subs out of phase so try to flip the + and - on one sub and see if the sound gets better.
loudnoise123 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah that's a hard thing to picture, to much air space. I was thinking about cuttin the box in half but i dont know if that would help or making a new box one for each sub. So make them seperate sub boxes. I have been changing the amp settings constantly I can never find the right settings its either turned up to high or to low, and when the amps turned up it doesn't hit lows very well and when it's turned down, there's not a lot of bass. I'll defiantly have to try switching the + and -. What would that do?
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2012 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  
He is just saying one of your speakers may be hooked up out of phase, they should be +- to one +- to the other one then hooked up to the amp the same way. You may have one backwards this by changing just one of the sets of wires could bring back the lack of bass your getting. Its a a easy thing to hook up backwards.
Its does not matter what speaker you do it to. Or just take out the if that fixes it then you can always trace what speaker was hooked up out of phase.
loudnoise123 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2012 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
So I have them like this, one speaker has a + wire and it goes all the way to the amp, then on the same speaker I have the - running all the way to the amp. That's the same for the other speaker. So all 4 conectors on the amp are taken 2 + and - from each speaker to the amp. Is that wrong?
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2012 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
its not that serious, it could be a wire reversed inside the box. just flip one side and see what happens. if it gets worse then flip it back, its just something easy to check. dont feel bad that you dont get lows because those are shallow subs and they are in a sealed box and they are under the seat. i think your expectations are too high for your setup
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2012 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have the LPF turned on on the amp, and what is it set to? Also, if I understand you correctly, it sounds like you are running the amp in 2ch mode at 4 ohms. Did you bridge the amp?
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
loudnoise123 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
Would I flip the wires on the side of the box or pull the actually speaker out and switch them? I've been messing with the LPF and I can't seem to find a good setting what do you recommend?
soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 16, 2012 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
flip the positive and negative at the speaker terminal on the box. the lpf is just a filter to help your sub blend more with your mids so its hard to help you set it without first hearing your whole system but i like to stay under 100Hz usually.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic