icon

engine whine.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2012 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
Did you unhook the speaker wire and check for a short to ground?  Some amplifiers will not give you any issues if there is a grounded non-bridged speaker wire, other amps will have noise just as you are having.
manuel1986 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2012 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
I haven't I need to get a hold of a ohm meter. I really think its the RCA Inputs in the amp. I wrapped bare wire around the Rca terminal and grounded it and it actually the noise got lower. But the noise was still there.
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2012 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
Are the EQ, Xover & radio all grounded in different locations? First thing I'd try is grounding them at your B- Dblock, just run a test wire over the seats.
manuel1986 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
Will do that thank you
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2012 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
boulderguy wrote:
Are the EQ, Xover & radio all grounded in different locations? First thing I'd try is grounding them at your B- Dblock, just run a test wire over the seats.
any ground should be as short as possible. if the ground block helps with the noise its because the ground you had at first was vastly worse then having a 6 foot + ground through the ground block for the amps. if for some reason sending your ground through the amps ground block helps your noise then you know for a fact that the ground you had at first was definitely no good and you need to try a different spot but still it should be as short as possible because as you increase the distance of your ground wire you increase the resistance that the electricity needs to overcome to get back to your power source.
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2012 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
^^ Yes, but there are no ironclad rules for eliminating noise, it's whatever works. IMO 90% of noise comes from ground loops, usually b/c components are grounded in different spots.
It gets complex with floating, common & isolated ground systems across components plus balanced or unbalanced I/O's. That's probably what's happening here and I suspect if the EQ and/or the Xover came out of the system the noise would go away.
But eliminate the easy targets first. Ground them all in the same place.
manuel1986 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2012 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
Equalizer, cross over, head unit all to the DB and still no luck
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
true, there are no ironclad rules about noise, what i said was that if you can find a better ground 6+ feet away at a ground block then you can definitely find a ground thats just as good or better somewhere closer to the source. its just good basic practice in car electronics to have the shortest ground possible on all of you stuff. if its not too inconvenient you have all of your grounds meet at the same point then thats fine but if you have to send a ground more than 2feet away just to meet with something else then thats just not worth it to me.
my overall point is that it might work but there are better options to explore.
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
Yup, looks like we didn't get lucky with that trick.
Now I'd eliminate components til you find the culprit. Working backwards, disconnect RCA's from the amps. If still noisy, that was easy. Otherwise go upstream & repeat on the in & out of each piece.
I'm betting on the EQ or Xover...
manuel1986 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2012 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
I'm convinced It's the amp, I ran a RCA straight from the radio to the amp and still did it ran a separate ground from chassis to the amp and all the other amp disconnected and still did it. So i think the amp is junk.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic