icon

Best of the Best

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
luxuryrules 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
I am looking for the best speakers in the world, period.  My searches and reccomendations have led me to the Infinity Kappa series.  I have an '87 Town Car, so I am looking at a pair of 4's, 6 1/2's, and 6x9's.  The Kappa series covers all of these sizes.  Should I do it, or is there anything better out there?
DjIQ 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
Hands down, MB Quarts are the best!!!
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
lol, there are way better speakers than the Kappas...
Focal PolyKevlar
Focal Utopia
a/d/s/ PX series
AVI BSM TriStars
MB Quart QSD series
Diamond Hex series
Image Dynamics Chameleon series
Rainbow Pro series
pretty much all of these speakers can make Kappas sound like ass...be prepared to spend some money though, cuz none of them are really cheap...
and you may not find 6x9s in all of these series either, and there is a reason for that...they suck...period...a 6x9 speaker does not sound good, and alot of these speakers are the company's flagship lines, so they wouldnt have bothered making ass sounding 6x9s for these lines mostly...
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

Kappa’s are far from the best of the best, Big Purds did a pretty good job of naming most of the top brands. My favorites are the MB Quart QSD series, Focal Utopia’s and the Diamond audio HEX. But you can’t go wrong with any of the brands listed above in Big Purds list.

Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with many of the choices on the list. I also agree with bberman1 on the top 3. Personally, I lean towards the Focal's because I have had excellent experiences with them. Again, as has been stated, you really can't go wrong with any brand on that list.
Cary
vseven 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
So those are the best of the best (and there price shows it!) but what about the best for the slightly above average comsumer? Like $100 - $300 a pair? I currently have Infinity Kappa 3-ways all around and am look at components up front.
Allan.
luxuryrules 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

Since most of you mentioned these MB Quarts by name I think I'll check them out.  Vseven, how long have you had your kappas and how well have you done with them?  Same question out to any of you that have MB Quarts.

Thanks all, much appreciated.

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
I love MB Quart and would not use anything else; I have put them in all my personal installs for years now. The price is a little on the high side but you get what you pay for, plus it’s an investment that will last for years. If you call this guy Ravi 949-413-7558 he has a very good price on most of the brands listed above. And vseven luxuryrules asked for the best of the best and that is what is listed above. But those companies do make speakers other than their flagship lines that can be bought for $300 or less and they still will be top quality.  

Dan M C 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2003 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  
Mb Quart all the way (i also agree with Big Purds's list,he forgot to mention Dynaudio too),i use Mb Quart for now 10 years.Just bought a "Q" series Mb Quart and they are trully amaizing.In the Back i use Focal Access coax (rear fill) as subs go i like A/D/S/rS.2 line.
DanBest of the Best -- posted image.
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2003 at 3:46 AM / IP Logged  
sorry, sorry, I did forget DynAudio and Morel as well...another 2 excellent speaker manufacturers...
I think that the Focals arguably have the strongest midbass out of any of the speakers listed, and that is one of their great appeals to me personally...I am not a huge fan of the Quart tweeters, but then again I dont really like the Focal tweets (TN 45) that much either...
the next set of speakers I personally will purchase will be the AVI BSM TriStars...in my opinion, they are the absolute most true to life sound replicating speakers I have heard for a mobile audio application...may be worth a listen for even some of you die hard Quart fans too, heh...
if you are willing to lay down some serious cash, do not rule the TriStars out without at least hearing them first...phenomenal...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic