the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

best sound dampening material

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 29, 2012 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
what are your opinions on the best sound dampening material? in the past ive used all kinds of stuff like, spray foam, rubberized undercoat, many different brands of "dynamat", regular packing foam, and even a folded paper towel in the track of a sliding back window.
i really want to do it perfect in my truck the first time because its really a pain to take my whole interior out including the headliner and rear panels.
does anyone have experience with second skin? or hushmat?
pts760 
Copper - Posts: 403
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 29, 2012 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
If used the undercoating material and i doesn't really stick that well unless you get the surface completely clean, where as, hushmat works awesome! Also, Great Stuff expanding insulation that you get at a local home improvement does wonders in places that the hushmat is hard to lay. You won't be disappointed.
I drink current, eat ohms, and bleed voltage
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 29, 2012 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
yea ive used great stuff in the kick panels. it works but its a little too permanent for me to use again in my own vehicle.
architect97 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  

I have personally used a few brands over the years as well. In my current setup I have Second Skin Damplifier Pro and could not be happier!! About as close as you can get to a luxury car ride without buying a luxury car. I will use Second Skin in all of my builds from now on, as long as they continue the quality that they set out with. The doors close solid and no rattling at all.

Also, I should mention that I am not an agent of Second Skin, nor do I benefit from mentioning them in any way other than helping you out. May be a little pricey, but well worth it if you follow their directions (ie cleaning the surface first, etc).

If you go with Second Skin, I believe you will not be disappointed! Good luck whichever avenue you take!

b_real45 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2012 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

I'm currently using eDead in my doors and in the trunk.  Unfortunately I don't have experience with any other brand so I cannot compare - but I can tell you I'm not disappointed with eDead.

Soon I'll be adding eDead to my roof and also adding foam.  On the floors I'll just be using cheap Home Depot roofing material with metal backing.. I'm not worried about it not sticking as well as eDead because it's on the floor.

Rob
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
When I did my car, I used a combo of dyno mat, expanding foam and undercoat.
I live in in Tucson AZ, and never had any problem with smell once it the undercoat was cured. I really liked the expanding foam for the top of my trunk to get into those little channels. I just took off the deck then filled it in. Then cut off the excess when it dried.
Then with a bit of sound deaden material and some carpet it looked great and did not rattle.
The under coat worked great for the inside surface are of my doors. I did end up using a foam wedge just to keep of of the bars from rattling on my doors.
Once I was done i could hold 140db with out any rattling. Before the all the treatment it sounded like my car was going to fall apart when the bass hit. lol
soundnsecurity 
Posted: March 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  

hmm i forgot about eDead, ive heard a lot of good things about it. i found out the other day that ill need to do some serious deadening of my whole back seat area because when i took the small part of the split back seat out to install the raised floor for my sub box to sit on that now i can hear a ton of road noise from a vent that goes through the back wall. the back wall itself must just be really thin because the audible noise when i drive now is almost double than what it was with the whole seat still in the truck.

i will also be putting something directly on the door panels to keep them from resonating with my 7 inch mids. this project just keeps getting more and more complicated/expensive which is why i want to get the most bang for my buck. ive wanted to try out second skin for a long time so ill probably invest in a roll for my roof.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic