icon

obd2 dtc codes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2012 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Is there a website or a place i can check what OBD codes mean?
I have a new reader, the Innova 3160b which is supposed to interface vehicles 96 to 2014 (as per what their support department told me over the phone today).   Yet I am not able to find what DTC149d means.
After waiting for nearly 45 minutes on hold, someone comes on the line and tells me go to the internet and look for it.   I said "I purchased this device and need some help/support with the usage of this device".
He says with a lets-get-rid-of-him attitude, "Sir, I said go to the I n t e r n e t and search there". Due to lack of words I said ok thank you".
What a great help.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2012 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
Oh how these companies try to shaft us.
In truth you need to spend about $8-10,000 on a unit from Bosch, Snap-On before you get to "read everything" with explanations.
Even then knowing what the fault code means doesn't tell you how to cure it.
By the way it was AFAIK, OBD III from 2008.
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2012 at 6:40 AM / IP Logged  
I guess thats true. I did buy this unit as it was the "latest" of their product line and they claim its for vehicles upto 2014. I finally hooked it up to my X5 and got some info. The code I got started with a P, meaning its a manufacturer specific code. I called in to my bmw service departmemnt and have a 10am appointment on monday morning. I will ask them what it means. I checked on the internet and did not find what P149D means yet.    As its my first time using such a device, i consider myself a novice. However its more of a hobby for me, so I will play with it later on all my vehicles just for fun as well as to get some knowledge so as to compare notes with the service department.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2012 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
Oh,oh you are entering a BMW stealership on Monday, with deep pockets I hope.
2 true stories.
When the X5 first came out we were doing a big audio install, so we disconnected the battery.
3 days later, job done, reconnected and all the warning lights are staying on.
This is a dealer with whom we have done their cars for at the time over 20 years, could they clear it for us?
Yes $120 for driving the vehicle in placing seat and steering wheel covers and plugging in read erase. Job done.
Friend's 06 335 diesel coupé, couldn't use iphone or Android with OEM Bluetooth set-up.
How much to plug in to diagnostic and upgrade?
2 hours sir at £120 per hour.
F**k them, went out and bought a Parrot kit.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic