icon

avital 4113lx 2005 jeep liberty

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lucidsoul5 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2012 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, I am new to this forum. I am a novice mechanic and PC technician for a living. I want to install a remote start. I know there are complications with bypasses are needed to get around the anti theft on most cars. Since this is my first time attempting this, can someone look at this system I found and tell me what they think. Avital 4113LX
http://www.slickcar.com/bypassvag.asp
If it is good or bad or even a different system for beginners. I have changed my radiator and heater core before so I think I can handle this but I want to make sure first. Please help.
fred lauten
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 03, 2012 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
I use those systems all of the time. Solid and reliable but don't play well with D2D installations. You probably don't need a transponder bypass and being an 05 you don't need to worry about any MUX circuits for ignition/accessory/accessory. What color is the head of the key on your Liberty? If it is black there is no transponder, if it is grey or tan it does. I just did one last weekend and it did not have a transponder, nor did it have any type of factory theft content system (no factory alarm). I believe only the transponder equipped Liberty's came with factory alarm. Factory remote works when the vehicle is running too so you shouldn't have to concern yourself with keyless.
You would only need the 4113, one relay and a 910ohm resistor(for parking lights). Or you could just use the hazard lights without the need for a relay and resistor.
BTW you're link doesn't work...comes up with drop down menus that allow you to chose a vehicle, but it does not show the system you want to install.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 05, 2012 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
I'm pretty sure the '05 already has a transponder. Turn your ignition on, without starting the car. Observe all the different lights that come on....seat belt, battery, oil, and so forth.
Somewhere in those lights, look for a little round red light about the size of a pencil eraser. If you have that light, you have a transponder.
All of those lights only come on for a few seconds, so for you to find the one you're looking for, you might need to turn the key off and back on a few times.
Also, how many keys do you have? One or two?
Transponder bypass options:
There are basically two types, one being cheaper than the other. The more expensive one does more things, and also requires only one key to program.
If you have two keys: PKUMUX, PKUCH2, or just an aftermarket Chrysler key (with the letter S stamped on the blade) in a universal bypass module. These units emulate a key; you need two original keys to program.
If you have only one key: I forget all the model numbers, but they connect directly to the car's data bus, and need only one key to program. They might also give you some extra outputs like tachometer and brake, saving a couple of connections to the car.
The Big 3 bypass module companies: www.xpresskit.com www.idatalink.com www.ifar.ca
Besides all that.....the 4113 is a reliable unit, with fairly decent instructions. (I think nearly all remote starters come with lousy instructions overall, but DEI products have the best instructions in the industry.)
It's good that you're mechanically inclined. The Liberty is exceptionally easy to take apart. The panel that's in front of the driver's knees drops down like a "door;" just pull on the top edge of it and you'll see what I mean.
You'll find taking the Liberty apart and putting it back together to be very, very easy. On your PC technician side, I'm not sure how much you work with testing and/or connecting wires, but that's the part you're probably going to have to practice a little bit......how to identify and test wires in the car, how to make solid connections to them.
Also observe that the steering linkage under the dash is exposed; you don't want your wires to get caught up in there. Pay attention to how the factory routed their wiring, and secure your new wiring to it with some zip ties. Before calling the job "done," be sure to move the steering wheel around, tilt the wheel up and down, operate the pedals, all while watching to make sure nothing is going to hang up and cause an accident.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic