icon

port

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
acer9876 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2012 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
I'm building a 3ft^3 box for a 12" l7. Im porting it to 34hz. And everythings okay until I get down to finishing with the port. I'm using the port calculator on here. But I'm not sure exactly how it cAlculates it. Do I stick the port inside those 3^3ft? Or does it need to have the 3^3ft space and then also the port area?
Long question short. After using the port calculator will my total airspace be 3^3ft?
Or 3^3ft plus port?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2012 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
If your enclosure is 3 cuft after deducting the volume occupied by the driver and bracing inside the enclosure, then enter 3cuft in the port calculator. 
Support the12volt.com
acer9876 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2012 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
I know how to put it in the calculator. Let's say it says I need a 20" port. Do I incorporate that into my airspace? Meaning that'd it'd only really be about 2.4^3ft airspace and the rest port?
I apologize. Im not sure exactly how to word this question
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
No.  Although if you use MDF or something else that is substantial to form the port, you need to deduct the volume of the rigid material from the available volume.
Support the12volt.com
acer9876 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2012 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
So the total would be about 3.6?
DYohn 
Posted: March 13, 2012 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  

acer9876 wrote:

??  Adding a port does not make your enclosure larger.  port -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
b_real45 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2012 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

acer9876 wrote:

??  Adding a port does not make your enclosure larger.  port -- posted image.

Acer,

What he's trying to say is that the structure used to create the port is usually thin enough to be negligible in volumn.  The actual port is open on both ends and does not seal its volumn away from the enclosure.

Rob
b_real45 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2012 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
b_real45 wrote:
[QUOTE=DYohn]

Acer,

What he's trying to say is that the structure used to create the port is usually thin enough to be negligible in volumn.  The actual port is open on both ends and does not seal its volumn away from the enclosure.

Sorry about the spelling guys.. I'm "new" and cannot edit my post.  I've been typing the work "Column" all day so ...   *sigh*

Rob
b_real45 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2012 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
b_real45 wrote:
b_real45 wrote:
[QUOTE=DYohn]

Acer,

Sorry about the spelling guys.. I'm "new" and cannot edit my post.  I've been typing the work "Column" all day so ...   *sigh*

I think I'll just quit typing all together today.

Rob
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2012 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
A box volume specified by a driver manufacturer is a *net* volume! it can be dramatically larger in GROSS volume, however. If you need 3 cubes, you will figure 3 cubes, and then ADD TO IT. You will add to it the displacement of the driver basket and cone, the bracing, and the entire volume of the port, NOT JUST THE PORT WALLS, b_real! As you can see, your overall outside volume can be FAR greater than the 3 cubic feet specified
If you are stuck with a given outside volume, then you subtract the volume occupied by all of the above mentioned components AND the wall volume, to arrive at your net volume, which is the volume the driver interacts with.
After all that, in answer to the OPs question, you will have 3.3 cubic feet, plus the entire port volume, not wall volume.
Calculated this way:
(pi) times (radius, squared) times (height)
or: (3.1415)(r^2)(port length)
If you have a 6" port, 16 inches long, it will calculate like this:
3.1415 X 3^2 X 16
3.1415 X 9 X 16
452.4 cubic inches
452.4/1728 = .26 cubic feet.
You can see that if you don't add this, you can seriously and adversely affect the desired volume calculations.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic