icon

need explanation of line driver voltage

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
diggyd357 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2012 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  
My screen will probably be changed to "I'm a big freekin' idiot" after this one, but I'm tired of not knowing......if I have a 12v alternator and my eq has a 7Volt line driver, how many volts am I feeding to the amp ? I want to know if Im getting atleast the 14.4v rating on the amp's output. Thanks....and an extra thanks to those of you who don't refer to me as "king idiot" lol.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  

Those things have nothing to do with each other.  The 11-14.4 volts is the vehicle's power supply range.  This is what comes out of the alternator and is what supplies power to the amps, head units and the rest of the car's electronics.  It's like the power in the wall outlets of your home when you plug something in.  The voltage rating of the device outputs - the 7v in your line driver - is a signal level voltage that comes out of the RCA connections.  This voltage is a max level and depends on the volume level of the signal.  The devices in your car USE the alternator voltage for power, but they GENERATE the line level signal voltage to send the signal from one place to another along RCA cables.

Make sense?

Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
Screenname is not for sale.
diggyd357 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
HAhahaha !!!!! Gotcha.....
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2012 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
Get in line diggyd357 - I'm ahead of you (for i am an idiot!!
And don't worry - those voltage things or specs can be confusing.
In retrospect it may be so obvious and perhaps silly...
But 2 things come to mind - better safe than sorry, and no such thing as a stupid question - just stupid answers.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic