icon

anyone familliar with kicker kx 1200.1?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
diggyd357 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
Bought the kx 1200.1 for my 10 w7.....obviously didnt research the amp first. Everyone us tellung me it'll push the w7 no problem cuz the amp's way under rated and so on and so fourth I'm just not convinced that any amp rated obly at 330 w rms @4 ohms will push the w7 . I was hoping to get some oppi ions from somevody who's used the amp...maybe even tried to push a w7 with it.
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2012 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
With your sube being a 3 ohm sub that amp will give you an optimal 350 watts it should be ok for that sub. if you already have purchased everything go ahead and use it. yes kicker is underrated but not by much. just keep an eye on the amp some kx series get hot when driving the am  to much.
diggyd357 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2012 at 6:38 AM / IP Logged  
Yeh, that's pretty much what I've been hearing. Let me ask you this though....would I be better off going with a cheaper brand amp like a planet audio or power acoustick 2000-3000w amp ? I know they're overated, but if it says 1200w rms coulsnt I atleast depend 800-900w rms @ 3ohms ? These amps are super cheap on ebay brand new....under $200 even. Im sure I could sell the kicker to somebody witj a 1ohm set up , which is really what tjat amp is for, and come out ahead on the deal. Or....are those cheaper amps so underated thatI wouldnt see a lot of difference over the kocker ??? I know ths all seems rediculous, but I haye to use it, burn it up, then be left with nothing lol......am I over thinkin this one ???
wheelerdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2012 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  
I would not do that those amps may push out 400 at best. If I was running that setup I would go to sonicelectronics and get a Hifonic brutus amp the BRX 1700.1 is 249.00 and is rated at 1700 at 1 ohm and 1200 @ 2 ohm  and 600 rms at 4 ohm 3 ohms looking at around 900 rms. you could get away with the BRZ 1200.1 fo r199.00 rated 1200@  1ohm, 900 @ 2ohm and 450 @ 4 ohm at 3 ohm your looking at around 675 and these amp are under rated. most of the time I use Hifonics Brutus amp and never have a problem I would not buy anyting else Hifonics but their amps run cool and have lots of power.
diggyd357 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2012 at 7:11 AM / IP Logged  
Yeh, sonic is great. The money really isnt an issue...not that I can go spend $500 on an amp today, but Im also considering going with another sub . I have the option to trade/ sell for a 12 w6 which I could wire for 2ohms and get all I need out the kicker or I can get a sundown (see my other post from yestetday with exact model) which is a 2ohm dvc so I could roll 1ohm and ge.ALL the kicker has to offer. Is the w7 worth keeping though....
wheelerdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2012 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  

if you like the sound of the JL then I would go with the 12 w6 more cone area and will be louder than the 10. but in my opinion I do not like the way w6 or w7 sound. I use to have a w7 and sold it and just bought a p3 wich I thought sounded a lot better but im about to go with either a sundown or a skar 12. I think the sundown will be a better sound than the w6. im about to go to bed if you need anything you can email me at tsgtwheeler@yahoo.com

soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  

personally i would never trade a W7 for a W6. more cone area, yea, but not by much because the cone on a 10W7 is actually 10 inches where a 12W6 is maybe 11 inches. ive never been a fan of kicker amps. ive sold them for a while back in 2006-2007 and i was never impressed with anything they did and they broke all the time. the only kicker amps that were worth anything were their high dollar digital amps and they were so overpriced. with that said, as much as i hate kicker amps i still wouldnt trade it for a cheapo "3000W" amp. the kicker will push that W7 just fine because it isnt built with a very stiff suspension. it can take more but it doesnt need much to work well

i got rid of my 8W7 a long time ago and i wish i still had it. i had t powered off of a hifonics brutus 1600 but this was a long time ago when hifonics was much better than they are today.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic