Button/Switch that resets?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Coomer 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2003 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I'm planning out my alarm install, and I have a question that I haven't been able to find answers to anywhere. I've posted similar questions in five different forums, and I haven't gotten one straight answer, so now I'm asking here.
I'm wondering if it's possible to install a button or a switch in my car that will connect two wires to each other to bypass my clutch when pressed, but will reset(so that the two wires aren't connected) once my car is started. This way, whenever I'm planning on remote starting my car, I'll first put the car into neutral, pull up the e-brake(my install will use the e-brake sensor), then I'd have to press this button or switch in to bypass the clutch. Once the car remote started, the button or switch would need to reset, so that I'd have to do the same thing over again if I wanted to remote start the car again. If so, how could I do this? I have plenty of relays and I'm fairly knowledgable with automotive wiring.
By the way, I know about all of the implications and risks of installing a remote start unit made for an automatic on a 5-speed, and I know about all of the alternatives(reed switches, remote start units made for a manual where you leave the car on when you get out and then arm it, etc.) In addition to this switch or button that I'm asking about, I would also use the sensor to be sure that my e-brake is up before the car even tries to crank, and I would also install sensors under the hood to be sure that the car doesn't start if the hood is open. I just want to install this button/switch for added security and so that the car doesn't start on accident. If you think about it, it would really make the car safer than not using any sort of protection at all, though it wouldn't be as safe as a reed switch or a remote start unit designed for manual transmissions. I just want to know how I can achieve what I want to do.
Thanks!
chkdsk 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2003 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  

Coomer,

I took a stab at this and sketched this out on a piece of scrap paper so it's a complete mess. I'll do it up on the computer and post it up. It will use three relay total, a momentary switch, and the key will be an input from your alarm/command start that is either +/- when the vehicle starts to "break the wires".

If I'm on the wrong track then let me know asap...

chkdsk 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2003 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  

Coomer,

Here is what I came up with:

Button/Switch that resets? -- posted image.

A few quick points - I haven't tested this so I'm "pretty sure" it will work. Second, You might want to get someone with more experience with Diodes cause I think that all three relays need one across their respective coils. Third point, you will notice that the Relay #2 will stay on constantly once you active the push-button switch, I don't know how this fits into your install BUT you may want to consider the small current draw.

Now for the instructions: When the button is pushed, it momentarily charges relay #2 which creates a permanent loop through #3's N/C circuit and can only be broken when #3 coil is engaged. The hot-wire from this also charges #1 to close the clutch wires.

Hope this helps, if not then let me know and I can help you out further.

Coomer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2003 at 2:26 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you so much for all of the help.
So I should buy a push button switch? Is there any specific type that I should buy?
Also, on terminals 85 and 86 of the third relay, would both of those terminals go to a +12 volts power source that is only +12 volts when the car is started? Or do they each go to something else? I'm kind of unclear on this.
Thanks so much,
Christian Coomer
chkdsk 
Posted: May 04, 2003 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

Christian,

Any momentary switch that is Normally Open will be fine. Radio Shack has piles of different kinds that will work, just make sure it is for 12V and will take a bit of current e.g. 5amps.

For 85, you will need to find something that is positive when the vehicle is running, then you would simply ground 86. BUT it could be the opposite, e.g. you can find something that turns negative (12v-) when the vehicle is running and then you would need to put positive (12v+) on the other one.

It would be easier if your command start (or alarm) has something that "enables" for 2 sec's once the vehicle starts. Take a look in your manual and see if there is something like this OR post the make/model of the command start and we can take a look.

MCubed45 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
as far as safety measures for a RS on a manual transmission, you might want to look into mercury switches or something similar as well.  these are used on your shifter to ensure that the car is in neutral when starting.  basically mercury switches detect whether the switch is level.  if mounted correctly on the shifter, it will not allow a remote start unless the shifter is in neutral.  i think some people have used magnetic switches as well.  those have two pieces (one mounted to the shifter and the other to the chasis directly underneat the shifter).  basically the switch senses when the two pieces are close to each other (when the car is in neutral).    personally i think sensors on the shifter itself to ensure it is neutral before attempting to remote start are one've the most important safety measures to add.
Coomer 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2003 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry to not reply for a while, but I just installed my remote start saturday.
I thought about it a bit, and I figured that it would probably be easier to simply hook terminal 30 of the first relay to ground and terminal 87 of the first relay to the (-) remote start toggle switch input of my alarm.
As far as the third relay's coil, my alarm is an Autopage RS-650, and I just spent a few minutes trying out some of the outputs, but I don't think that any of them are going to work for this. I thought about using the wire that gets +12 volts when I press on my car's brake pedal, but realized that if I did this, I'd hear the clicking noise of the relay switching whenever I press the brake pedal. So now I'm thinking that I may hook terminal 85 up to my e-brake wire which produces +12 volts when it is down, and then simply hook terminal 86 up to ground.
Also, does anyone know for sure if I need diodes across the coils on the relays? This is the part that I am the most unsure about.
Thanks again for all of the help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic