icon

jl 500/1 remote knob does nothing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mdlwate357 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2012 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
I just got my remote bass knob in the mail today...brand new and it's the right one for the amp. I installed it, but it does absolutely nothing....not a damn thing ! Did I qatar $ 30 or am I missing something ? I have the amp running off a kicker kq5 equalizer , could that have anything to do with it ? The amp has so many damn switches and knobs, am I supposrd to set something a certain way ? Anyone had this happen with their's ??? Thanks !
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2012 at 4:02 AM / IP Logged  

aaaah... my favorite sub amp....

i think the RBC will only work when the onboard LPF is engaged.

also make sure and use either the cord that comes with the knob or one that has 4 wires in it. some look the same and only have 2 wires in them. they wont work.

and if i remember correctly, the boost knob on the amp needs to be turned down all the way or it may override the external knob.

BTW.... if you ae using a ported sub box take advantage of the 500/1 on board sub-sonic filter. the instruction manual does a good job explaining its application. it can really save your woofers from damage and allow your amp to make more power where you need it.

yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
mdlwate357 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2012 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged  
LOG is on and I used the cord that came with it. I will try turning the boost all the way down on the amp, but I thought the manual said the end automatically overused the onboard boost control.....like I said though, it's worth a shot. Thanks !
    ......and yes, the infrasonic filter is grrreat !!!
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2012 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  

"LOG"??

the knob just boosts the chosen center frequency so if it is too close to your port tuning freq, crossover freq, or your infra freq, it may have little or no effect

yes the manual does say the onboard is defeated. but some of the non-V.2 500/1 amps that i have installed needed the knob turned down, most worked like they were supposed to.

it was in the earliest production of the first series of these amps. JL told me it was a curcuit that was made incorrectly and offered to replace amps if needed. customers didnt care since it wasnt actually a defect.

ive seen 2 or 3 of these. if a person installed one of these amps with the RBC and the onboard knob was turned all the way down in the first place, they might never know.

heck, while your at it... try to onboard all the way UP too... you never know.

yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic