icon

sub placement in regular cab s10

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mdlwate357 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2012 at 7:42 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 10 w7 in my 2000 s10 regular cab. I bought it used in the standard jl audio spec ported enclosure,which is NOT made for a small truck cab. So for temporary use was able to remove the center console and cram the box in-between the seats with the sub pointing towards the back wall of the cab. The box is tilted at about a slight 20 degree angle downward so the sub fires into an "airpocket" of sorts instead directly at the rear wall .. . It sounds OK. Ofcourse the bass hits hard as hell, but it's a 10 w7 being pushed with a jl 500/1 slash so it's gonna hit. My concern is the sound quality with my rock and dance music. The bass is a little sloppy at times and a lot sloppy at others. My question is, what would be the best type enclosure and ideally how should it sit and which way should it face? I'm not looking to spend more than a couple hundred bucks , but I welcome all ideas. Thanks.!
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2012 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
hows your amp set? if you plan on rebuilding the box then a w7 will do good in a small-ish sealed box. i had an 8w7 a while ago in a extended cab ranger and it sounded great in about 1 cubic foot ported box. at first i had it in a 1 cubic foot sealed box and it was way too big and sounded very sloppy. would it be possible for you to find out what your current box specs are as far as size and tuning?
mdlwate357 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
I am rebuilding. In your opinion, how would a front facing sealed enclosure sound in a regular cab truck ?
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  

it should sound fine. i think downfire would probably give you a better output. would you still be sticking with a console box or do you want to move it completely behind the seat?

mdlwate357 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2012 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
Well, I had a 12 w3 behind the passenger seat at one time and it was imposible for a passenger to ride with the seat all the way up so I'm leaning more towards a box that will be short (12" from the floor to the top) , but long (30") that would run from the passenger side wall , behind the passenger seat and end where the edge of the drivers seat begins. I'd have the sub mounted in the part of the box exposed between the two seats. It would give me 1.3'cu of airspace before braces. So I'd have about the ideal 1.25' cu when all is said and done. Its a wedge basically, just a long one with the sub firing foward into the cab. I was actually about to go get some mfg, but it just started raining lol.....
soundnsecurity 
Posted: April 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
just make sure you have enough clearance from the back of the sub to the back of the box. i cant remember if a w7 has a vent in the rear but its always good to have a little bit of space in the back to breath.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic