secondary ford illumination dimmer wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jtkc1 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2012 at 4:01 AM / IP Logged  
First post here at the12volt
Hope im posting this in the correct area, read all the warnings, and stuff, did a bit of research, could not seem to find the answer im looking for.
Signature lists my car audio equipment, and the vehicle installed in.
Here is the query.
My Kenwood Excelon x494 head unit has an illumination feature that, when wired in, automatically dims the brightness of the display screen when you switch on the headlights.
I had this feature wired and functional when it was installed in my previous vehicle which was a 1988 Honda Crx Si.
I recently purchased a 1996 Ford F-150 xl. Had to acquire the wiring diagram, as one of the previous owners lovingly cut the factory wiring harness.
When i was in the process of connecting or wiring the kenwood pigtail to the ford wiring. I noticed that there was an extra ford factory wire designated for illumination/dimming.
I went back and did some online searching, as to what function this wire served, and all i got was instructions to just "tape it off".
At present time, the auto-dimming feature of the kenwood is inoperable in my f150. If i connect the dimming wire from the Kenwood to the extra or secondary illumination wire from the ford, might this enable the "auto-dimming" feature on the Kenwood?
Thanks in advance for any info, advice, etc. provided.
Once again i hope i did not miss or overlook a search result concerning same issue or question.
91 Honda Civic DX Hatchback auto. Kenwood Excelon x494 head unit.. Kenwood KAC-8401 Amp. An old blue Jensen 100x2. Pioneer 3way 6x9's One day add an 8/10inch sub.
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2012 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  

is there a Light Blue/Red wire in the truck that you arent using?

i think that might be it.

yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
jtkc1 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2012 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  
itsyuk wrote:

is there a Light Blue/Red wire in the truck that you arent using?

i think that might be it.

I am using the Blue/Red Wire for the Illumination.
There is a second wire, that ford designated as an illumination wire.
It is an Orange wire with a black stripe.
here is an image
secondary ford illumination dimmer wire - Last Post -- posted image.
i am a member on a forum for the Ford f150, and one of the diagrams, it shows this wire, or mentions it in the wiring pin-out, but it just says to tape it off, like there is no other use for it.
I think there has to be another use for it, otherwise why would ford use two illumination wires?
thanks for the reply!
91 Honda Civic DX Hatchback auto. Kenwood Excelon x494 head unit.. Kenwood KAC-8401 Amp. An old blue Jensen 100x2. Pioneer 3way 6x9's One day add an 8/10inch sub.
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
if you use a DVM and test that wire what does it do? does it show power only with the parking or headlights on?
yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
jtkc1 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
itsyuk wrote:
if you use a DVM and test that wire what does it do? does it show power only with the parking or headlights on?
I forgot to test it, when i had the head unit out last night, after i get off work, around midnight or so. If i can ill take the hd unit out an test it

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic