icon

2007 Chevrolet HHR Alarm/Remote Start Pictorial

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
Just purchased a 2007 HHR, and figured I would share my install with you guys. This was an automatic LT model with factory remote start. I wanted to add an Audiovox Pursuit PRO-9801 alarm/remote start. I used a Flash-Logic FLCAN for the bypass here.
Showing off my favorite tester. The Waekon 76200 pistol probe. You can probe any wire in the car safely and quickly with this bad boy!
2007 Chevrolet HHR Alarm/Remote Start Pictorial -- posted image.
The victim 2007 Chevrolet HHR Alarm/Remote Start Pictorial -- posted image.
The remote start and bypass prepped. Note the data brake signal did not work as indicated and had to be hooked up at the brake switch (not shown Light blue)
Start under the drivers side dash and remove the two 7mm (9/32) bolts below the knee pad, and then pull the cover free.
Next, remove the three 7mm (9/32) bolts under the steering column shroud. You need to remove the knee covers before attempting to remove this steering wheel shroud. It isn't easy to twist this cover out. Be careful!
Remove the four 10mm bolts securing the inner knee bolster to the dash. The you can carefully remove the lower steering column shroud completely.
Here is a shot of the workspace available on this side of the dash and the ignition harness/connector indicated by the red arrow can be seen.
On the passenger side of the center console where the bcm/fusebox lies you will see 3 connectors as pictured. The large red connector is C3 and contains the positive parking lights (brown), the largest RED / black wire is the main feed for the BCM and can be used safely to power anything up to 25amps. For this unit I used a 20 amp fuse.
The connector on the left is C2. This contains the negative parking lights (BROWN / white pin 5), the horn wire (tan pin 14), and the security LED (green pin 11) as pictured below.
The bottom connector is C1 and contains the Door pin wires I only needed the drivers door (gray/black pin 22). The others are in this connector and can be found easily.
Not pictured is the hoodpin and ground. Pretty simple install, if you use a data module that does the hard work for you. As with most of these 06+ GM cars you need to plan out where your remote start brain is going to live. I made every single wire in this install longer than what it came out of the box. I have seen guys place the brain in that bcm area, or above the drivers foot well. Just be sure you plan ahead and route things cleanly.
racerjames76 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2012 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
2007 Chevrolet HHR Alarm/Remote Start Pictorial -- posted image. Forgot to post the close up up the ignition connector 2007 Chevrolet HHR Alarm/Remote Start Pictorial -- posted image.
You can also see the RED / white 12v wire here. Flash-logic describes using this to power the bypass separately, but since I got power from the main BCM feed it should be plenty accurate. Basically they want to make sure the bypass is using the same reference 12v that the BCM is for the passlock wire. Do NOT power a remote start from this small wire! 2007 Chevrolet HHR Alarm/Remote Start Pictorial -- posted image.
I didn't post a picture of the OBDII connector, as most of the bypasses that use this as a connection should have a pin-out listed in their instructions. On the malibu, G6, HHR, cobalt, and G5 platforms they should all be the top left #1 pin, top being the wider side of the connector, and left as viewed from the open side where you plug your scan tool in. Hope that helps!
Thanks to kreg357 for the feedback! 2007 Chevrolet HHR Alarm/Remote Start Pictorial -- posted image.
racerjames76 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2012 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
Biggest thing to remember about these passlock + systems is that we are not actually starting the car, we are giving the BCM/ECM all the signals IT needs to then start the car. You still need a tach signal so the remote start knows the engine got the signal to start, but the car is starting itself here. Same scenario happens with the key. The computer is starting the engine, we just requested it to do so.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2012 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  

Nice car and great write-up.  The pictures are excellent.  Good luck and many happy miles!  2007 Chevrolet HHR Alarm/Remote Start Pictorial -- posted image.

Soldering is fun!
peppy6669 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2012 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  

I've never had luck with getting brake status from GM2 Firmware vehicles,

the brake wire can also be found in the C2 connector lt.blue pin 54

instead of going to the ODB2 for the data wire it can also be found in the C2 connector lt.green or lt.GREEN/ black pin 38  

racerjames76 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
Well, the malibu/G6 brake status always works for me W2W through the bypass. Thing is those cars the brake wire at the switch is either inaccessible, or tests as data. The HHR has an old circa. 2003-2007 gm car brake switch setup. 2 switches one with a large blue or white wire. Must have been using up surplus parts eh?
Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2013 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
Can you go voltage sense on these cars or does the tach HAVE to be hooked up ?
racerjames76 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2013 at 8:02 AM / IP Logged  
Not sure but you can't really go wrong with a tach wire...unless you are a/vox 2007 Chevrolet HHR Alarm/Remote Start Pictorial -- posted image. At least they fixed those issues!
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
twintechsouth 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2016 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
I know this is old , but im hooking up a coolstart r/s, I got the ign, acc, pkumux bypass which I split the white resistor code wire, per imstructions, but im stuck with the starer wire,,,
GWR wire is hooked to r/s to gwr on bypass,, still no go,,,
Hope u guys can help me out,,,, thanks
racerjames76 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2016 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
The HHR has no traditional starter wire...
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic