the12volt.com spacer
icon

Fog Lights Off With High Beams

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
geraldcole 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2012 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geraldcole

The type of vehicle I am wiring is a 98 acura integra. I've installed japanese front end, so I now have fog lights which I didn't have before.

I want the fog lights to come on with the switch (powered when the car is in acc.) and to turn off if you flip the high beams on.

I know this has been covered before and I did a search and tried the different ways that I saw listed but I must be doing something wrong here's how I have it wired now and they only come ON when I flip the high beams on and the switch is on.

SWITCH

Power - 12v from acc. in fuse box
Load - to Relay 1
Ground - Grounded

RELAY 1

85 - Ground
86 - Switch
30 - 12v from battery / fused
87 - Relay 2

RELAY 2

85 - Ground
86 - High beams
30 - Fog lights
87a - Relay 1

oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2012 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
Ground the fog light relay (85) to the high beam +12V switched power.
Only 1 relay is needed.
geraldcole 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2012 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geraldcole

Okay perfect that works. Thanks so much!

Incase anyone is reading this my final setup is a single relay hooked up as follows

SWITCH

Power - 12 from acc. in fuse box
Load - to Relay
Ground - Grounded

RELAY

85 - High beams (they ground it when high beams are off)
86 - Switch
87 - Fog lights

oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2012 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
Bingo! Noting that the switch should only be grounded if it has an indicator/lamp (which I presume it does - I just hate seeing people ground the "3rd terminal" of an SPDT switch!!).
Also be aware that if you leave ACC on and the switch...
But ACC is good because it turns off during cranking.
The tail- or park-light power could be another source instead of the fusebox ACC. (That might even be more logical, or more legal?)
And thanks for adding why this works...
"85 - High beams (they ground it when high beams are off)".
Maybe it is better when I reply short & sweet!
geraldcole 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geraldcole

While it is not more "legal" to hook it up that way because in the states the law says only that the fogs have to go off with the high beams.

Although some may find it more logical, I like the ability to turn them on at any time. My fog lights are in the same housing as the rest of my lights (I have a japanese front end). During fog, yellow light is the best light and works better if nothing else is on. I will still be seen by other drivers okay since the fogs are not in the bumper. But that is just MY personal preference.

Thanks again.

PS OLDSPARK- I have another relay issue regarding sidemarkers if you're up for it Fog Lights Off With High Beams -- posted image.  thread here: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~131318

geraldcole 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2012 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote geraldcole
Oh and yes I forgot to add that my switch does have an indicator light, thanks for the clarification so no one gets confused!
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2012 at 3:09 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
As someone here once pointed out (Howie?), it makes sense to also have the parkers on.
Though not up on whatever the latest laws are here regarding fogs, our law was similar - fogs off with high. In fact fogs off with low too since - by "definition" - lows invalidate fogs.
To me, fogs are any "very low beam", the theory being that they shine below the fog layer.
But traditionally they were (also) yellow, that being a better "fog penetrating" color. (Or was it "less reflection"?)
I don't think that fogs here required other lights, but it makes sense that if we find it difficult to see, we'd give others the maximum chance of seeing us - hence rear lights, and probably side lights.
But modern cars have what I consider to be fogs (in the bumper etc) yet they are often on with low beams, so maybe our laws have changed, else "approved" standard OEM configurations are excepted.
And thanks - now I'm glad I did add that extra "no switch ground" ramble.
dts828 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2016 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dts828
geraldcole wrote:

Okay perfect that works. Thanks so much!

Incase anyone is reading this my final setup is a single relay hooked up as follows

SWITCH

Power - 12 from acc. in fuse box
Load - to Relay
Ground - Grounded

RELAY

85 - High beams (they ground it when high beams are off)
86 - Switch
87 - Fog lights

Bringing up a old thread here, can you clarify what is being hooked up to #85 ", is it hi beams(+12v) or ground.   Not understanding how #85 is grounded when the hi beams are off. Thanks for the help.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2016 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote oldspark
The relay coil (85) grounds through the unpowered high been filaments or non-powered switched side, hence is off when highbeams are on.
Assumes "low impedance" filaments or switched load side etc.
dts828 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2016 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote dts828
oldspark wrote:
The relay coil (85) grounds through the unpowered high been filaments or non-powered switched side, hence is off when highbeams are on.
Assumes "low impedance" filaments or switched load side etc.
OH I get it now, makes total sense thanks for the help.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic