icon

viper 5901 siren not working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
raigen18 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2012 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
I just finished wiring up a viper 5901 to my car and everything seems to work fine except for the siren. The doors locks/unlocks and the parking lights flash normally however, I do not get a siren confirmation chirp. Triggering the alarm does not make the siren off either and I know for sure that the alarm isn't in valet mode.
There shouldn't be anything wrong with the siren because it sounds fine if I connect the red lead to battery positive. Disconnecting the ground wire for the alarm makes the siren sound but at very low level when I lock/unlock the car.
I also used a dmm to measure the voltage output from the brain's brown siren output wire and was only getting something like 4v; shouldn't it be 12v? Would this indicate that there is something wrong with the siren output part of the alarm?
raigen18 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
update: the output on the siren wire when alarm is triggered is actually only ~0.85v
blkrhyno 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2012 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
check to make sure that you didn't turn off the confirmation chirps by mistake.
Protect what's yours.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2012 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
No the OP mentioned no sound when triggering and he's right it should be 12V+ on trigger or chirp.
raigen18 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2012 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
i gave up on trying to use the siren output wire and instead, wired the siren to the horn output wire using a relay. still get the confirmation, and warning chirps however, the full trigger alert no longer sounds the same as if it was hooked up to the siren output wire.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 06, 2012 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
If you are able, disassemble the alarm brain, follow the trace from the siren connection pin, it should go to a transistor.  Can you read the number from the transistor?  Do you have or have access to a digital multimeter?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic