icon

99 ford mustang w/premium audio issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
relentless85 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2012 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  

Last week I had to install an aftermarket Pioneer stereo in my Mustang that has the premium audio w/ one amp.  Eversince the radio has been installed, my battery keeps going dead.  I am suspecting that the factory amp is always on and is causing the battery drain issue.  My question is, what wire am I supposed to use for amp power that is not consistant coming from the factory wire harness, to the crutchfield wire harness then to the harness that comes off the back of the Pioneer head unit?

Here is the stereo that I purchased:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1303400UB/Pioneer-DEH-3400UB.html?tp=5684

I got this wire harness from Crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120705510/Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html?i=120705510&tp=736&

Harness #1 Power

Wire Color Function
Red +12 Volt Accessory
Yellow +12 Volt Constant
Black Chassis Ground
Blue Power Antenna
Blue/White Amp Turn-On
ORANGE / White Dimmer
Orange Illumination
ORANGE / Black Not used (tape off)

Harness #2 Speakers

Wire Color Function
White RCA Left Front Speaker
Gray RCA Right Front Speaker
Green RCA Left Rear Speaker
Violet RCA Right Rear Speaker

Factory wire harness:

+12V DC Battery(Constant) Lt.GREEN/ violet  To radio pin C280-1 & CD changer pin C281-4  Audio  10 amp  Battery junction box 
Switched Accessory BLACK/ pink    32  15 amp  Central junction box 
Ground  Black  Also BLACK/ light green 
Remote Turn On(output)  ORANGE / lt.blue  To CD changer, pin C281-5 
Illumination  Lt.blue/red   
Mute  Dark blue   

soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2012 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
it should be hooked up to the blue/white from the aftermarket radio. did you have a resistor come with your wire harness when you bought it?
have you tested whatever wire you have your amp turn on currently hooked up to to confirm your theory that it is staying on? or are you guessing?
relentless85 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2012 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

soundnsecurity wrote:
it should be hooked up to the blue/white from the aftermarket radio. did you have a resistor come with your wire harness when you bought it?
have you tested whatever wire you have your amp turn on currently hooked up to to confirm your theory that it is staying on? or are you guessing?

A resistor did not come with the wire harness from crutchfield.  I took the head unit back out and here is what I have connected:

Factory Harness------------------------------------------Crutchfield Harness-----------------------Pioneer Headunit Harness

Lt. GREEN/ Violet (12VDC Battery)---------------------Yellow (12VDC Consistant)-------------Yellow (12VDC Consistant Battery)

Black (Ground)--------------------------------------------ORANGE / Black (Ground)-------------------Not connected, taped off

BLACK/ Pink (Swtiched Accessory)---------------------Red (12VDC Ignition Switched)--------Red (12VDC Switched Accessory)

Lt. Blue/Red (Illumination)------------------------------Orange (Illumation)------------------------Not connected, taped off

GREEN/ Black (Ground)------------------------------------Black (Ground)-----------------------------Black (Chassis Ground)

ORANGE / Lt. Blue (Remote Turn on output)----------Blue (Power Antenna)--------------------Not connected, taped off

Blue (Mute)--------------------------------------------------Blue/White (Amp Turn On)--------------Blue/White (System control of power amp or auto-antenna 12VDC Switched)

When fuse number 27 in the central junction box under the dash for the amp is plugged in, my speakers work and eventually the battery will run down.  When the fuse removed, the speaker will not work and so far the battery has not ran down with the fuse removed.

With the wires connected as the diagram above, I have to have the Blue (mute) wire from the factory harness, connected to the Blue/White wires coming from the crutchfield harness and the head unit.  I connected a test light to this wire and the blue (mute) is a switched wire, when the ignition is on i have power on that wire, when the ignition is off or the head unit is off, i have no power.  So to me that is working correctly?  The ORANGE / Lt. Blue (remote turn on) wire does not have any power.  Yellow has consistant power no matter what position the ignition is in, and the Red switched accessory only has power when the car is running or ignition is on accessory.

If i leave fuse 27 in and measure for power there at the fuse box, i have consistant power on fuse 27 no matter what position the ignition is in.  This is what led me to believe that the amp is always on and causing the battery to run down.  The battery did not start to run down until a few days after the new head unit installation.

Do I have this wired correctly, or do I have something wrong that is causing something to stay on, therefore causing the battery to run down?

soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
fuse 27 is probably the main power for the factory amp so it should be on all the time i assume. if you unhook the blue and blue/white wires from the radio does the sound still play? when you say that those wires have power with the key on does that mean that the power they show is coming from the car or from the radio? ive run into problems where the harness adaptor has wires where there shouldnt be any or the functions for those wires dont match up to what they want you to hook to them. try unhooking those wires and if you still get sound then just leave them unhooked. check your battery voltage regularly to see if it still drains.
relentless85 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2012 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  

soundnsecurity wrote:
fuse 27 is probably the main power for the factory amp so it should be on all the time i assume. if you unhook the blue and blue/white wires from the radio does the sound still play? when you say that those wires have power with the key on does that mean that the power they show is coming from the car or from the radio? ive run into problems where the harness adaptor has wires where there shouldnt be any or the functions for those wires dont match up to what they want you to hook to them. try unhooking those wires and if you still get sound then just leave them unhooked. check your battery voltage regularly to see if it still drains.

When I disconect the blue/white wire from the blue wire coming from the factory harness, the sound goes away.  The yellow wire has a consistant 12V, the red wire has power when the ignition is on or switched to the acc position.  When I measure for votage on the blue/white wire, it seems to only have power when the head unit is turned on.  When i have the car started and the radio on, I have power on the blue/white wire, with the car still on and if i power off the head unit, I do not have power on the blue/white.

Should I connect the blue/white wire to the red switched wire?

soundnsecurity 
Posted: May 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  

ok the wires are right so that shouldnt be the problem. maybe you have a defective radio or maybe its something in the car that went bad and its just coincidence that it happened after you installed the radio. the other thing you could try is to isolate the remote wire from the car by running it through a relay switch. by using a relay you can completely separate the  remote wire from being connected to the car when the car is turned off. do you need me to explain the relay or do you already know what im talking about?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic