bass sound/feedback when starting car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
greggyg 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  

Hello,

The problem is that I have a sporadic issue in which when I start my lexus 06' GX470, the subs will sometimes operate very loudly for 1-2 seconds, regardless of if the stereo is off or on.  I have a JL xd300/1 amp and two 10w1v2 subs.  I thought it was the Pac-Soem T line output converter so I eliminated that, it seemed to work for 2 days but now it's back.  I can replicate the sound problem now when I have the stereo on while the car is off (acc.), then when I turn the car on, the stereo cuts out for a moment while the car starts, then when it comes back on, the subs make the loud sound. 

My installer had the remote turn on wire hooked up to my seat heater fuse, it did the problem then as well.  I just moved it to the acc. fuse so that I can have the subwoofers available when my stereo is on but the car is off.  I couldn't before.  I spoke to JL briefly and they mentioned something about a possiblility of a "noise cancellation mic" in my car and testing to see if it makes the noise with the doors open or closed.  If I am correct, it has done it in either/both conditions.  It seems as if it's some type of voltage change/surge that the amp responds to.  Perhaps there is a better fuse I can use for the amp to turn on?  Or any other ideas as to what could be causing this?

greggyg 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
I have some new diagnostic info.  I moved the remote turn on to another fuse (ign) and it fixed the problem, however, now I am back to not being able to have the amp turn on when the car is off but the radio is being used by "acc".  Is there any other fuse that I could use that would have the amp on during the "accessory power" scenario and then NOT make that loud when when i actually turn the car on? 
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
If your head unit does not have a remote power switch lead (are you using the factory system?) then you will either need to use your meter to find an existing circuit that is on with key in ACC but off during cranking, or you will need to use a low-voltage relay switched by the speaker output of your head unit.
Support the12volt.com
greggyg 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
I forgot to mention, I am using the factory mark levinson stereo.  I think the problem happens when there is a signal on acc. then off during cranking, then back on again.  for some reason, that's the exact condition in which i could replicate the sound problem.  The mystery to me is that it was fine for 2 days on the acc. fuse.  I would have the car off, stereo on and amp on, then turn the car on, it would turn off for a brief moment then turn back on with so sound issue.  Then it started doing it.  I moved it to the ign fuse, so the amp/subs are only on when the car is started but I'm worried that it will do it again in another day or two.  JL didn't seem to be too helpful because he said that the sound will likely come on now when the car is on but the stereo is turned off while I'm driving.  That doesn't make sense to me, that has never happened before.  And, they are saying that it's normal for the amp to get a signal on start up and translate that to the subs.  What is not normal is the extremely loud sound in doing that.  I also have the remote bass nob, maybe I need to bypass that or something? 
greggyg 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
okay, now it's doing it again already.  even with the amp just coming on after crank up (ign fuse).  Why is this happening after 3-4 successful start ups?  Could it be connected to my remote bass knob and gain issues?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
I am guessing that you installed the soem-t at the rear speakers. Catch the front speakers, or the rear speaker wires behind the radio and it will take care of this problem.
greggyg 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  

I believe that the original installer used the front speakers, I'll double check by using the fader control to find out.  but for clarification, I have eliminated the line output converter and wired rca's into those tapped signal wires.

greggyg 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
more of an update.  So it's confirmed that the problem is there when the remote turn on is hooked into any fuse.  there was a false success at times, lasting 4-5 start ups, then it becomes a constant loud sound again upon start up, regardless of if the stereo is turned on or not.  I disconnected the remote bass knob and it still did it, for now, I have turned the knob all the way down and will turn it up to use the amp/sub.  It just doesn't make sense to me because I know that this is not normal and has progressively gotten worse.  Could it be a ground issue?  Or fault/defect in the amp that has gotten worse? 
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
You may have a ground issue as well. Check for bare metal with no rust or corrosion. Also you can sometimes have an instant on instant off instant on issue using a 12v accessory wire. Try putting a 1.24k ohm resistor inline between the accessory line and the amp. You should notice a change. It may end the problem or it may reduce it. Try greater ohm resistors until the problem goes away and the amp stays on. No more than say 5.6k ohms max.
greggyg 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2012 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
any thoughts on if this is connected to noise canceling features and mics inside the cabin? Some say that I need to find these mics and disconnect them. Another thought is that it has to do with tapping into the rear speakers vs. the fronts or factory sub. I sent the amp back to the place where I bought it and they tested it, saying that it's not defective.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic