icon

accessory 2004 jeep grand cherokee

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Lubrano 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  

Hello, I installed a compustar cm6000 brain in a 2004 jeep grand cherokee.  I am having difficulity with the accessory wire hookup.  The brain has a single white 14awg wire used for acc power to the car.  This jeep needs power on two wires for the air condition to work while on auto start.  The jeep has a RED / black  and black orange which both need power for the air condition to work.  I have tried using just one of the wires and the BLACK/ orange will just power the hvac fan and the instrument panel will not light up nor will the a/c compressor clutch kick in.  If, i just power the RED / black the radio will come on along with the instrument panel but no blower. 

I know it is easy enough to tap the white wire to both the RED / black and black orange but this causes me problems as well.  The auto start works perfect but if I sit in the car and want to listen to just the radio with the motor off I can not.  The accessory postion is back feeding through the tap and feeding the other wire turning the hvac blower on.  My guess would be to install two diodes in series with the RED / black and BLACK/ orange.  Is this the easiest way to correct my problem?  If, so what kind of diode should I use? I figure there is some good amperage on those wires since they are 14awg on the brain and maybe 12awg in the cars harness.  What diode's should I use? Or maybe you might have a better idea. Thank you for the help.

Sal

tony_g 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2012 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
connector 3 pin 9 WHITE/ black shows as -250ma 2nd acc output to be used with a relay to drive additional outputs as needed.dont connect two wires to one output as it could draw to much current and easily blow something.most r/s modules nowadays have additional low current outputs for driving relays incase you have a vehicle with 2 ignitions or 2 starters or even 3 accessories as some do.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 30, 2012 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  
Best bet would be to just wire up the relay like Tony says. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes, and relays are cheap.
If you wanted to use diodes, I suppose you could get the big 6-amp diodes and use maybe 4 or even 6 of them.... two (or three) in parallel going to one of the car's accessory wires; two (or three) in parallel going to the other.
And then run the remote starter for several minutes with the blower on full speed, and see if the diodes get hot. If they do get hot, put more of them in parallel. As you can see, it's probably easier just to use the relay and be done.
If you were to just jump the car's to accessory wires together, chances are you'd get away with it and not blow anything up, but it still wouldn't be right.
For one thing, if you sit in the car with the engine off, and turn the key backwards to listen to the radio, the heater would come on at the same time. And depending on the "strength" of the ignition switch's accessory circuit, you could maybe burn out the switch if the blower draws more current than the radio-accessory switch is rated for.
Lubrano 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2012 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  

I would rather not wire in a relay.  Where can I get the 6 amp diode you mentioned?  I have seen 15 amp diodes on e-bay. could I use them?

Item number: 130488969237

tony_g 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2012 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
but wiring relay would be quicker than wiring 6 or so diodes, i personally would use the relay as opposed to diodes. i know how great they are and what they do as i use them in circuits when programming microprocessors. but when it comes to correctly switching a power wire that could spike up to some large amps under heavy load id stick with a relay,its what they suggest in many install manuals when you are looking at the wiring info.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2012 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
On your head if you go with the diodes:-
Possible risk of fire. = $$$$
Possible damage to vehicle ECU. = $$$$
Diodes are not safe in this heavy current situation.
Stick with relays.
3 Ignition no 2 on my car, I measured the current 2 circuits under 5 amps but I still used relays.
pbellouny 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
I have a jeep, I learned the hard way do all wiring through a data bypass!!!!! i burnt out the ECU, Convinced chrysler it was thier fault thank god!!! Its expensive if you go the resistor and diode route. if u see the tire light coming on all the time , and the dash lights dimming and brightning ur damaging the ECU, i know someone with a chrysler 300 who had the same thing happen because the installer used resistors. Use a data bypass!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic