viper alarm out put not working,

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fraser19955 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2012 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
Hi,
I purchased a viper 480xv viper alarm which I have installed successfully all the sensor ect work, however the siren doesn't when I set the alarm off there is no sound from the siren but the indicator's flash. the siren is a ESP2 siren which is a battery backup siren, it has an input which plugs straight into the brain of the alarm, the wires on the siren are black (ground) red (which presume is power) and orange (which presume charges the siren) I put a volt meter across each of the wires and it shows a constant charge of 5 volts on the orange wire, and nothing on the there 2 wire.
I don't think it is in valet mode as the led flashes.
hope someone can help.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2012 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
Battery failure on the Siren, you could try another,this was always the Achilles heel of the very much better Clifford versions. I would have expected the 2 way remote to fail first.
Does the siren chirp on arm/disarm?
tony_g 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2012 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  

just had a quick look at the manual,it says that you need to have a long drive or engine running for quite some time before the siren reaches a sufficient charge level.have you driven regularly since installing it or only just done the install?

not to contradict howies reccomendation hes a pro who knows his stuff and then some, but just a thought.

sometimes it can be something which is too easy to overlook and not try.

im guessing it wouldnt charge when armed as that would be seen as current draw which some alarms monitor for when armed

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2012 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
tony_g, you could be right but I've never had this out of the box, also in the UK, dealers aren't supposed to sell Cat l product over the counter, I think this product might have come from fleabay, thus in my experience, nothing might be working.
tony_g 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2012 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

well if its an ebay refurb special then its definately going to be a fingers crossed moment lol, i know that feeling but when on a tight budget its too tempting.

thankfully mines been ok since day one. id rather have the nice big budget to go back to the good old cliffords,dont like these u.s versions that share across the whole product line.

the vipers are simple enought to install and use but id rather have my old intelliguard 950.

uggh i feel old now thinking back a few years LOL

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2012 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  
The 650 Mkll aka 950 knocks all the Viper garbage into a cooked hat, except all those dears wanting the 480 remote, great, that usually goes after about 6 months.
fraser19955 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2012 at 4:39 AM / IP Logged  
Hi guys thanks for the reply,
there is no chirp or full blown siren whether it is armed or disarmed.
the problem is there is no voltage actually coming from the unit/brain itself, the output has 3 prongs on. which the 3 wire siren plugs into. when I arm/ disarm/ set the alarm off no voltage comes from the prong were the red wire plugs into. however there is a constant 5 volts from the prong which the orange wire plugs into whether the ignition is on or off, I think this is the wire that charges the siren.
hope you can help,
many thanks.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2012 at 6:03 AM / IP Logged  
Try unplugging the siren, connect the red and black wires to (+) pos and (-) respectively of the battery, see if you get anything, if so it's the unit.
Is this from fleabay or a dealer?
You might stand a chance of replacement if it's dealer stock. No dealer will want to know if it's fleabay.
fraser19955 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2012 at 6:24 AM / IP Logged  
Hi,
Thanks for the reply I tried it and the siren sounded loud and clear. does this mean the unit is broken?
could I have possible wired something the wrong way, need programming?
I did get it of ebay sadly so will see what the seller will do about it...
Thanks again.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2012 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  
The unit is faulty. Ah the joys of buying electrical equipment via fleabay.(Not).
I had to buy 2 radioCASSETTES recently for a retro customer, one Sony and one Kennie to feed existing auto changers, NEITHER had power plugs, luckily they were straight plug-ins.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic