icon

4 channel amp not powering

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bullseye753 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2012 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
I had just finished my install, which was a complete OEM replacement - HU, 4 channel for mids/highs, class d for lows. For now Ill leave out brands and power ratings for abridgment's sake as I don't necessarily believe those specifications matter in this instance. To the point - I reconnected the negative terminal to my battery and started my car. Viola! Clean install, no problems throughout the whole endeavor. Seemed too good to be true. Volume is being played low as i haven't set my gains or crossovers yet. I am checking my headunits functionality - making sure siriusXM, rear ipod, usb is all working fine. All good. Check balance/fade and notice the front right speaker isn't playing. Disconnect negative battery terminal and check the amp. No worries, negative speaker wire from front right speaker had wiggled loose. Reconnected it, as well as negative battery terminal, and powered my car. No power to my 4-channel. However, mono amp is powered and is playing, which has a bridged remote wire FROM the 4 channel. Ground is good, and distribution block/fuses are good, fuses in amp are good. I checked all connections multiple times. Any ideas? Im literally lost. It was all working perfect, then not. I was even being cautious and disconnecting (-)battery if I even needed to touch the amp. Any input concerning diagnosing this using a VOM?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 08, 2012 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
Use the meter to verify that you have 12 volts on both the remote turn on terminal and the power terminal of the amp.  Use the ground terminal of the amp as a ground point for your black meter lead when testing this.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2012 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
maybe the speaker wire came loose again and is grounding out the speaker wire which would send the amp into protect?...
what amps? what kind of car is it? withholding information from us isnt going to help us solve your problem. you need to tell us everything you know so we can come up with an educated solution to your problem.
bullseye753 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2012 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry! i was writing that from a phone so i was trying to make it concise as possible. 05 Honda civic. Amp is Polk 660.4 powering Alpine type R's. 75wx4 @ 4ohm. Alpine CDE-123 H/U. Speaker wires are not connected to amp to be grounded out.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 09, 2012 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Use the meter to verify that you have 12 volts on both the remote turn on terminal and the power terminal of the amp.  Use the ground terminal of the amp as a ground point for your black meter lead when testing this.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic