icon

kicker cvrs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
loudnoise123 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2012 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah I'll measure it what equation or how would I figure it out mathematically? Maybe an example? Would maybe a sliver box downfireing, a 12" or a 10" ?
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
the way i would do it would be to measure a different volume each time you have to change dimensions. like how your box now has two big pieces on each end and a skinny part in between, all you have to do is measure each section you have to make by itself, subtract the volume that the wood will use up ( this will depend on what thickness of wood you will use) and finally once you have the volume of each part you just add them together to make a final total volume. you will still have to factor in how much volume the sub will take up too once it goes into the box. when you are trying to work with small boxes the volume of the subwoofer itself can make or break how it sounds. if you dont account for that then it could sabotage your design from the very start.
loudnoise123 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2012 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
That makes sense I was working on measuring the box I have today and figured, jus break it down into three different numbers and add. Do you think it would make sense to jus have one 12" or 2? Or work with maybe some 10" vr? Downfire?I know it's personal preference but maybe theres even another brand out there that's better?
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2012 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
loudnoise123 wrote:
Do you think it would make sense to jus have one 12" or 2? Or work with maybe some 10" vr? Downfire?I know it's personal preference but maybe theres even another brand out there that's better?
it makes sense to go with what you have enough space for. without knowing how much space you have available then its a shot in the dark trying to tell you which would be better. there are tons of brands out there that are better than kicker. ive had good results with diamond audio D1's in a small sealed box. ive recently become a crossfire audio dealer and its the best i have personally heard so far in a small sealed box. so there is lots to choose from you just have to make sure that it is matched up with what you have.
loudnoise123 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2012 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
Cool that helps me narrow down a sub for my needs, I think I might go with making a box like this
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_044FTX112/Q-Customs-Single-12-Factory-fit-Subwoofer-Enclosure.html?tp=129
Or going with two on my 60 side on the 60/40 bench Seat
http://www.supercrewsound.com/97f150ecdual.html
If the subs were in the same box do you recommend seperate chambers?
soundnsecurity 
Posted: June 21, 2012 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
the single 12 box will probably be your better option.
loudnoise123 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
Sweet! I know I have already asked but what kind of sub would work? Was it the ones you mention earlier? I have never heard of them and I'll have to look at my local audio shop.i would most likely make a box that's 6 1/2 in tall by 12in wide and maybe 45-46 1/2 I length?
soundnsecurity 
Posted: June 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
a box as big as you plan on building would give you about 1.5 cubic feet if you used 1/2 inch wood to build it. a single 12 typically wants about 1 cubic foot to work well but thats just average. some use more and some use less. when you take out the little bit of space that the sub itself will take up you will be left with around 1.3 cubic feet. look at different sub specs and find a sub that is recommended to use that much air.
loudnoise123 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
Alright well I was just looking over my box again and the reason why it's 4 in in the cross section is cause my tranny kinda sticks up out of the floor So that cancels out the 6.5" height box. Got any suggestions? Or could I work with maybe jus raising my seats more?
soundnsecurity 
Posted: June 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
you can raise the seat but only if you can do it safely. but you can build the box 4 inches tall and use the extra space where it would be 6 inches tall to mount the sub and face it towards the floor. the gap it leave between the sub and the floor should be perfect. that is how that Q logic box you showed me was built. you can take that design and modify it to be as big as possible while still fitting under the seat and that should be just enough for a decent 12 to fit.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic