icon

bad mux port on the 5701 viper

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fastdan 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2012 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  

2 weeks ago I bought a viper 5701/ 5202v from ....com on line for me to install in my 2003 ford E250 cargo van.

Along with the alarm unit I bought the Directed 516L

voice unit, 2-Directed 508D motion sensors, Directed 506T glass sensor & the bite writer. I did all my homework & down loads 1st, before the unit even showed up I had pulled the dash panels & marked & tested all the wires to be connected to the 5701 brain.

In about 6 hrs time I had the basic unit installed & working, the alarm would arm & disarm, remote start & shut down and the siren chirp for per warn or go full if you open a hood or door & the 516L give it’s pre recorded voice messages to the alarm functions. Buying the bite writer for $ 69.00 was the best investment; it allowed me to program the brain with ease.

Next I installed 1-Directed 508D motion sensor &1 Directed 506T glass sensor to the MUX port / zone #4.  The red & black from the MUX port power the glass sensor & a independent constant 12v 5amp fused power the 508D motion sensor as they recommend by Directed.  The green pre warn from the 508D goes to the green on the MUX port. The blue from the 508D & 506T are tied together & connected to the blue on the MUX port. I also installed 2 1-amp diodes in the blue wires between the sensors and were the blue wires pigtail together to prevent feed back, finally I connected the 516L inputs to the sensors, the 516L’s black & white to the 506T glass sensor blue wire between the sensor & diode, the 516L’s blue & white to the 508D motion sensor blue wire between the sensor & diode, the 516L’s red & white to the 508D motion sensor green wire. Next I recorded messages for those triggers to the 516L & set the sensors.

The trouble is when the sensors trigger pre warn or full trigger the 516L gives the correct messages but the alarm dose not chirp or go off. I checked it all 3 times and programmed zone 4 for the 508D sensor. Next I unplugged it all from the MUX port, plugged in my old alarm shock sensor & programmed zone 4 for shock sensor. With the sensor resting on the console I lightly tap and it’s green light comes on and tap harder and it’s red light comes on, same as the other sensors, but the alarm dose not chirp the per warn or go off from that port.

Sonics tech & I had determined it was a bad brain and sent me a replacement. I just swapped them out and still have the same result, zone 4 / MUX port wont trigger, the odd thing is when using the bite writer to program the zone if you select the wrong sensor to the one connected it wont program, so the zone/brain must be seeing the sensor & identifying it. 

Any way both brains serial # differ by 80 so there likely form the same batch/ run. The serial # on the 1st one is 067815NTW10J0071041 & date code says 12/2010. Sonic says 1 more replacement than I am on my own and suggest I wire the sensors to the door trigger, and that’s not what I paid for. I see that best buy and the local Directed dealer still install the 5701 but it is off the Directed site and looks to have been replaced by the 5901. I would like to know if my serial # falls into any recalls, any info any one has would be greatly appreciated.  Feel free to call me with any info on this matter, I am in buffalo ny  716   602  5645    thanks    fastdan

from the bolgs ive read it looks as if Directed only made this unit for a short wile and redesigned it calling it 5901 and worked out the bugs, meanwile old pallate loads of the 5701are being dumped on to the web instead of being destroyed. maybe i can return it for the 5901, but would all the old harrness match up for a quick swap out?

dv
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2012 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
Have you tried turning on the 5701 and grounding the pins for the blue and green just to make sure it works?
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2012 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
Have you connected the brown wire to the siren of the alarm?
And if you have,have you checked the feature 3 dipswitch?
fastdan 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2012 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

tried it all...

siren dose work with door, hood & onboard shock sensor.

rewired it to day the way viper shows a glass & shock sensor, no diodes.

glass sensor powered off the mux adn feild sensor powered from cont. 12v fused.

directed shows glass sen. blue trigger to bule on mux, but that seams wrong cause it would only prewarn. directed also shows blue as zone 2 & green as zone 4. soi  put that blue glass sen. to the blue mux . also i had found on this site to program sensor to single, that was to be the factory default, but for some reason both brains were shiped set to double. now the glass sensor triggers full and sets off the alarm.

as for the feild motion sensor, directed shows pig tailing the blue & green at the sensor & conecting them to the blue on the mux. that did not trigger well when tested on the mux by it self so i put it on the blue mux that is zone 4 so i could program the brain that it was a feild sen, bit writer dose not have any programing for the zone 2  blue mux.

not happy yet, the feild sensor will trigger it's inner & outter zones, i can see the green or red light come on, but the alarm only sounds the pre warn except for 1 time out of 50 tries it triggered full. i dont think the sensor is sendind the full 1 sec. trigger to the mux, only the .5-.8 sec for the pre warn. there is a 3rd sensor adj. on the sen. but that says factory adj & i dont want to mess that up. also i had to install a relay on the sensors ground wire, other wise it was always powered and from some reason when i would disarm the 516 voice would say feild sen triggered. some one has to know a way to wire the 508,506 & 516 so they all work togeather as by them selfs on the mux port.

still looking for a better proven idea.

dv
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2012 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
I mean, did you connect the brown from the 516L to the brown on the viper H1 harness?
fastdan 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2012 at 5:56 AM / IP Logged  
yes i did  connect the brown from the 516L to the brown on the viper H1 harness & sw # 1,2,3,are on #4 off
dv

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic