2007 jeep wrangler

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cmercado 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2012 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

Hello everyone,

I am currently going to work on a 2007 Jeep wrangler 4 door with no power doors. There will be a viper 350HV added to the system plus a door actuator since its all manual doors. I know that the door don't have much space behind the panels for a DEI 524N  door lock actuator. I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with these vehicles and recommends a good solid door actuator that would fit good in these vehicles. Thank you.

cmercado
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2012 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
I used a regular actuator with a backstrap off the latching mechanism on a 2012 wrangler recently. the 2012 had cable locks, but every latch had a lever with a hole in it for a actuator rod. the actuator was mounted to the backstrap and the backstrap was attached to the latch inside the door itself. the actuator was hanging below the latch, don't go too low or the latch wont fit back in the door. This definitely wasn't an easy job... First one is always the hardest... Running the wires was a cake. Oh, and what a pain in the butt trying to connect to the passenger front door pin wire.. zero slack...
cmercado 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

I'll probably end up doing the same thing. I just wasen't sure if there was enough space back there to fit a regular size actuator. what alarm did you hook up? Did you have to go into the engine compartment TIMP module for connections?

cmercado
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2012 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
door lock actuators almost always require a good amount of creativity. i cant remember which car it was but one of the last sets of actuators i did i had to mount them at the very top of the inside of the door where the window goes into the door. then i had to bend the rod they give you about 3 different ways so that it would meet up with the factory lock rod. couldnt use the metal strap they give you, i drilled two holes straight through the inner door skin to meet up with the actuator's mounting holes.
i also like to keep a 12v drill battery handy so that i can test the actuator as i go so that i know it is in a good spot before i run wires through the door to the alarm.
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2012 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
used a Python 5303 alarm/remote starter. I didn't have to goto the TIMP for anything. The car had a transponder system, so I didn't do a starter kill. In the passenger kick panel harness running towards the back of the car are your:
Positive parking lights: WHITE/ purple
Rear doors and trunk pins: PURPLE / gray, purple / YELLOW, PURPLE / orange
Constant 12 volts: RED / Blue
Passenger and drivers door pins are at the harness that run inside form the door and you unclip to remove the door. Make sure you make your connection to the top part of the molex connector so the person can still remove their doors.
The ignition wire is at the steering column harness...
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2012 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  

http://www.jk-forum.com/jk-write-ups-39/adding-aftermarket-door-lock-actuators-15205/

Write up by me on my 2007 2 door wrangler.

To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
cmercado 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2012 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
Hey James. thanks for the link to the post and pictures they have been helping out alot. Im on the drivers side working on putting the actuator. I can get it to snap down and lock but not to unlock. Do you happen to have a picture on how you place the rod, how you bend it. Thanks
cmercado
racerjames76 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2012 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
If you notice in the writeup pics the actuator is mounted to the inside door sheet metal. Note the 2 stainless steel screw heads. The lock rod is a straight shot up to the lock mechanism. Simple 90* bend and a lock rod clip
http://cdn1.autopartsnetwork.com/images/catalog/brand/dorman/640/75452-007.jpg
cmercado 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2012 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
Thats what im missing "the lock rod clip", so that the rod doesnt move around. Thats the problem i was was having. when it went up it would move around and not work. Thanks alot James. I think i will finally get this to work. I'll  let you know how it goes. Thanks again. 
cmercado
racerjames76 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2012 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
You should be able to get an assortment of those clips at any autoparts store.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic