icon

compustar troubles cm5000

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gsus 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2012 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
IN 2010 I bought a new (to me) 2000 Chevy Tracker. Shortly after I opted to buy an alarm with remote start as I'm a little paranoid about my cars after one of my cars was stolen from my job (in 2003).
Anyway, I opted for the Compuster system since the tracker has a manual transmission- Even though I had only installed DEI branded systems in the past. The installation when pretty smooth and every had been working fine, for the most part.
I would have occasions, within the first few months, where the brain wouldn't receive any inputs from my fob. I checked the system and couldn't find anything wrong with it. So I seized this opportunity to purchase the LED-2 way kit that came with a new antenna, a 1-way remote & the stated 2-way remote.
The system registered both of the new remotes but the 2-way pager would randomly 'play' dead for a couple of days, but my 1-way remote kept working flawlessly.
Fast forward to this June...
The remote would occasionally lock the truck but then fail to unlock it, forcing me to override the alarm manually. Eventually the remote just wouldn't register with the alarm. I replaced the battery on the remote and nothing. At this point I believe the brain must have crapped out since I can't even manually take the system in or out of valet mode.
Due to lack of time, thanks to work and school, I've been to busy to get under the dash and diagnose the problem. I just finished school this week, so, tomorrow I will be diving into it.
I have a CM5000 unit currently, and in the event that the brain is indeed dead... is it possible to swap the unit out for a CM6000 without rewiring? Any major differences between the two units? Is what I've experienced a common problem with this model, or brand as whole?
Thanks for any input that you guys might be able to provide.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2012 at 4:07 AM / IP Logged  

There are big differences between the two modules in relation to the connectors.  The heavy gauge ignition connector, CN1, has 8 pins on the CM5x00 series while the newer CM6x00 has only 6 pins.  The CN3 connector has gone from 18 Pins to 20 Pins in the newer unit.  A simple brain swap won't be possible without some re-wiring.

As far as reliability goes, Compustar units are typically bulletproof.   Think I've had only one come back.  It was a CM6200 that had a horn output that went dead.     Be aware that these units have upgradeable firmware that has undergone some changes in the last few years.  While the physical connectors remained the same, the programming options and functions have changed ( slightly ).  

Soldering is fun!
gsus 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply... I finally dove into the system yesterday and tried a bit of trouble shooting. Unfortunately, there was nothing I could find wrong. The only thing I have left to test is the antenna (I can't recall where I left my spare one). On the bright side I found, and then remembered, that they seller gave me a CM6000 brain instead of the CM5000 that I had originally ordered.
So once I find the antenna and test that, I may order a new brain (if needed) and the drone system to add on to the alarm... Does anybody know if the the 1 way remotes will still function with the drone installed?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic