icon

brain and high current harness gets warm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hybridamp 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2012 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  

Have installed a Viper 5701 Responder LE and after running in remote start mode for about 20-24 minutes as a test I picked up the brain unit to move and noticed that the side with the high-current harness was a little warm.  Not hot, but warm to the touch (warmer than the ambient air around it).  Also, the harness felt to be the same warm temp, mostly at the ignition input red wire moving a few inches back to the included fuse, then it went completely cool; fuse itself cool and fine.  Does not happen with not in remote start mode and it does fine when started with the switch.  The red wire is soldered (nice shiny hot solder job too) into the constant 12v at the switch harness and everything felt fine up there as well.  I did not make the DEI wire longer, actually I did shorten it a couple of inches as there was extra length that I didn't need with the selected mounting location up behind the instrument panel.  All functions tested fine and no problems were found with my test run.  Is this warmth normal or should I try shortening the wire a little more, perhaps a bad on-board relay?

I've never actually touched the brain on an installed unit, so I wasn't sure if I should be concerned...

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 31, 2012 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
Some vehicles do draw as much as 10 amps of current through the ignition wire. This is normal. Does your remote start unit not timeout after 10 minutes or so?
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2012 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
The Viper units can be set to run as long as 60 minutes in the remote start mode with a BitWriter.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
hybridamp 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2012 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
I set it 24 mins instead of the default.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2012 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
I've had the old Valet 621(?) burn out one of the fuses constantly though I think Mr. I makes the right point above.
Those molded white fuseholders don't appear up to the job either.
auto enhancers 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2012 at 2:12 AM / IP Logged  
I would expect as mentioned that this should be ok. I done know I have ever let one run till it timed out to know for sure. Remember energy can not created or magically disappear, so it may be that the solder joint may be creating a bit of resistance and cause heat to be created. This should be fine I would say though.
hybridamp 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2012 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
I might drop it back down to 10min time-out just to be sure.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2012 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

the wires shouldnt get hot so something's not right. a bad solder joint could be making a current bottleneck or depending on exactly how and where you made the connections for the 12v alarm inputs you could be forcing too much current through a single wire. how did you connect the 3 red 12v input wires from the alarm to the ignition harness? is there more than one 12v constant wire at the ignition harness? if so then how many of those did you use to feed the alarm?

its not a serious problem but over time it could cause your alarm to self destruct.

hybridamp 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2012 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  

I'm thinking it might have been that I didn't get the harness fully snapped in during the test run as I was temporarily connecting all the harnesses causing the connections to raise the resistance at the harness?  I had to disconnect and re-connect everything when I put the brain in the final mounting location and made sure everything was firmly connected, I just ran it again using remote start and then felt all the wires/brain and everything feels fine this time with the outside temp at 98° F.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic