capacitor debate keep it clean

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rfhvhtoo 
Copper - Posts: 238
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2012 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
oldspark wrote:
If current flow is not involved in a capacitor, the WHAT is being charged?
I suggest you find out how a capacitor works.
Please tell me you know what's charging and how its charging, and explain.
I can't hear you!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 02, 2012 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
The news tonight said that GM introduced a hybrid vehicle with capacitors and no batteries. That will NEVER be a headline on any news carrier.
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2012 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
The news tonight said that GM introduced a hybrid vehicle with capacitors and no batteries. That will NEVER be a headline on any news carrier.
You're right because capacitors need a power source... that's elementary
I can't hear you!
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 02, 2012 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
So in a hybrid vehicle, the batteries are the power source?
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2012 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it has a potential difference, meaning it has a voltage, if it has a current running through it, it has power, and the power is not being absorbed, so it is being DISSIPATED into the circuit which mean it is a SOURCE of power...
I can't hear you!
i am an idiot 
Posted: August 02, 2012 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
Those must be magic batteries. I always thought that a battery had to be charged by an external source. If these capacitors are so good, why do we have to have a battery?
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2012 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Those must be magic batteries. I always thought that a battery had to be charged by an external source. If these capacitors are so good, why do we have to have a battery?
Batteries do not have to be charged by an external source while being used if it has an initial charge... answered.
. Capacitors show the potential difference that is across its terminals, which has to be an outside voltage source. ANY voltage source, does not have to be a BATTERY. But usually is unless you're in a lab with simlating voltage sources like I am... capacitors only react to what is in the circuit, if you have a circuit with no battery aka no potential difference then the capacitor will not show a potential difference, meaning 0v... but again, it can be ANY voltage source, not only a battery... answered
Now I have a question id like answered.... since you think batterues have to be charged by an outside voltage source, why is it that after use and a theoretical voltage drop of say 1 volt, does the battery RISE (key word) back up to its resting voltage? Without external charging... please explain sir
I can't hear you!
rfhvhtoo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2012 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
From what you're saying, wouldn't it just stay at whatever voltage it has dropped down to without an external source?
I can't hear you!
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2012 at 6:35 AM / IP Logged  
rfhvhtoo - you need to read batteryfaq.org-carfaq.
I recommend downloading as per Section 19 (printing ).
rfhvhtoo wrote:
Batteries do not have to be charged by an external source while being used if it has an initial charge...
Yes, provided it has enough capacity (as with a capacitor).
But then you need to recharge it to recover its initial state of charge - again, no different from a capacitor except for its ~30% inefficiency.
rfhvhtoo wrote:
You're right because capacitors need a power source... that's elementary   
Same as batteries, except for their initial "dry" charge.
Batteries just like capacitors do not "self recharge" - that's elementary.
rfhvhtoo wrote:
why is it that after use and a theoretical voltage drop of say 1 volt, does the battery RISE (key word) back up to its resting voltage? Without external charging...
That's call self recovery, but it never recovers to the original voltage since a discharge has occurred.
Your other statements are common electrical/electronic theory - eg:
Every component has whatever voltage it has across it whether it be a power source (capacitor, inductor, battery, generator, PV cell...) or a load (capacitor, inductor, battery, generator, PV cell...).
Every component responds to what is in the circuit. But we can accurately model that - eg, V=I, Frequency is proportional to RC, C=Q/V.
And getting back to much earlier fundamental issues:
A capacitor is charged by charge.
The flow of charge is current.
Watch the animation "DC does flow thru a capacitor" about 3 screens down on talkingelectronics-Page03.
Then maybe try antonine-education.co.uk-Capacitor_1 - note for example: "The capacitor does NOT conduct electricity. The flow of ac is due to the charge and discharge of the capacitor.".   
...and the two flash animations about 3/4 down in splung.com's Capacitance of a Capacitor.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2012 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
@ rfhvhtoo:I cant take it anymore... What does your name stand for/mean...? Acronym...? Maybe its simple and i just do not see it... TY
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic