icon

2003 m benz s 430 radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mustyk@att.net 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2012 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
Any Mercedes Benz experts out there? I need the radio wiring diagram/Colors for a 2003 Mercdes S-430? I also need mute wire color/location. Please Help!
thetopinstaller
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2012 at 2:11 AM / IP Logged  
Mute wire isn't there on most looms head units also why the wiring info?
Ever heard of Metra or Scosche?
Adaptor leads for that vehicle aren't needed in Europe, it uses ISO plugs and all Euro market aftermaket head units have them unlike the US.
Post a photo of those plugs and I'll tell you which is which.
I did a Parrot kit yesterday in an 02 CLK, no mute on factory H/U.
N.B. as a "top installer" don't you know how to test for mute?
Pick up ACC at the cigarette lighter socket or glovebox illumination, that should dump immediately when you turn off the key.
mustyk@att.net 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2012 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  

OK Howie, first of all I HAVE heard of metra and scosche. Been in the business for 33 years, been installing since I was 17. And have been self employed , successfully,  for 16 years as well.  I now have no hair and need geritol everyday.  Anyways, I contacted my Metra dealer AND our catalog, and they do not carry adapter plugs. I have a customer that wants a Bluetooth unit installed. I found a unit called "The Truly One "   I think it is of German design WITH the ISO plugs and a mute wire in it. You said the mute wire isn't there in the car. As far as testing for mute it is typically a ground trigger I know. But if there is no wire I can"t test. A pinout or wire color chart would help the most.

P.S. We are in the States so ISO plugs are not always the norm for aftermarket accesories in the USA

thetopinstaller
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2012 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry you young whipper snapper, I'm 66 and carry it all up here 2003 m benz s 430 radio -- posted image.
If the Benz has a "standard" radio such as a Sound 10, Sound 20,
The Truly One kit will just plug and play, remove the speaker plug, second up at rear.
DON'T remove the lower power plug!!! CODES!!!
As for power lower plug, RED / blue = constant brown = ground and pink or pinky-white and green at glove box light for ACC.
I must admit on the Benz I did yesterday I couldn't pick up the internal mute (Snap-On light bulb tester) but it doesn't matter, everything works normally, you just won't have the radio displaying "phone" or "mute".
Bloody customer had turned off "Control Sounds" took 10 minutes of poking around till it occurred to me to check the MK3100 settings..DOH.
I have a "Truly One" in my own car, cheaper than a Parrot i9200 by $75! (UK trade price) I must say it works superbly with iPhones, not so well with Androids.
If you have a "Command" head unit you will need an extension kit to the left hand trunk area.
Look on the KRAMM Denmark site (they supply GM and BMW) or Armour Auto UK for the adaptor kit.
If Novero technical US can't help, get back to me they should they're ex-Nokia Automotive and they are based in Germany.
I'll phone them shortly the tech rep is an old friend who used to design these damn leads so she should be able to help.
mustyk@att.net 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2012 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
OK> Thanks for the info. I will get deeper into it next week for we have this great Holiday weekend coming up. Don't want to work Fri-Mon. I Will resume this job  next week. Stand by for further developments. You should start a consulting company and get paid for your knowledge. We old timers have to benefit from our years of experience somehow.
thetopinstaller
mustyk@att.net 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2012 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
P.S. You are 66? So then you must have been around when they had tube radios and underdash record players in cars, right?  LOL!
thetopinstaller
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2012 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
Yes but not the valve jobs!
8-tracks, Lear Jet? Any connection to the Lear BCM on my Rover?
Remember the wonderful Philips Auto Mignon car record player, crikey they've gone along with Blaupunkt (apart from the Command radios in the Benz) and Becker is owned by either Harmon Karden or A/Vox.
Heck VW just did a deal for L&G of all people to supply their audio!
Yes I'd love to set up a for payment advice site but most of these posters expect gratis advice.
Mind you the job's taken me all over Western Europe the Med and parts of the US on contract work so no complaints.
In 82 I used to commute from Fort Lauderdale to Houston.
Cruise controls and power windows into grey imports for a BMW dealer, these were the 85mph dark days for US market cars, hence the grey imports.
mustyk@att.net 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2012 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
When I was a kid my dad worked for a company that was an exclusive dealer and authorized repair center for LearJet. When I was just a lad at about ten years old  my  old man gave me a portable 8-Track player (by  Lear Jet of course) and I mounted it on my Go-Kart. It took 10 "D" bateries to operate!!
thetopinstaller
mustyk@att.net 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2012 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  

Ya, whatever became of Blaupunkt Radios? Used to sell 'em by the ton. I don't see them anymore. Also we do not see the 'Fujisu Ten" brand either. Oh well, looks like only the strong survive in this industry.

thetopinstaller
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2012 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
You still see Fujitsu as OEM in one of the Japanese makes (Toyota)
remember what we see of Alpine is just the tip of the iceberg. In Europe, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Bentley ,Jaguar, Lambo, BMW, Benz, my Rover etc.
If it's a Command unit by the way, there are three types.
1)Basic = Gateway
2)Harmon Karden
3)Bose
Obviously 2 and 3 will be marked, either on the speaker grills or the head unit.
I can get adapter leads for the Gateway and HK but not Bose.
Having said that there's a US company called something like "Quicklinks" who can help with the Bose, Kramm in Denmark are apparently out of stock.
If it's a bog-standard single DIN head unit, then it's just plug (the speaker plug with 8 wires) and play and solder.
Not being clever she (the Novero techie) just phoned me back.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic