the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

fosgate p1 subwoofer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2012 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
true a 10" woofer is less efficient than a 12 or 15 but using a properly tuned and designed ported box is the best way to overcome this inefficiency without sacrificing frequency response. a prefab ported box probably wont sound as good but that is because they are usually tuned high, which is the same you recommend for a bandpass and the only difference is that its hard to hear distortion in a bandpass box because the woofer is sealed off and you only hear the port mostly. so i guess in that sense it does sound better but only for a limited frequency response.
c280bump 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2012 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Iv never seen a factory box thats worth any money tuned higher than 45hz. You can find really small ported boxes tuned to like 70hz, but they are usually built for cheap stuff.
Iv been running test on my P1 and its in a 2.2cu bandpass right now, and its peaking all through 50-65hz. To me, that is the perfect range for this subwoofer.
8 speaker stock bose system
(1) 15 Fi BL dual 1 ohm
(1) RF T500-1bd running half ohm
Stock electrical system with 5 gauge power wire and alternator/ground power wire upgrade
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2012 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
If what you want is nothing below 50Hz or above 65Hz, then more power to you.  To me, that is terrible response and typical of the crap "one-note wonder" sound of a bandpass enclosure.  If you are competing, then great.  But if you listen to music, it is crap.
Support the12volt.com
c280bump 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
If you want below 50hz, then you dont get a 10 inch subwoofer. Im trying to point out that this subwoofer does not reproduce lower frequencies very well, below 40hz is close to inaudible for this subwoofer without pushing it beyond its limits and 45hz is about as low as it will go and still be audible.
(1) 15 Fi BL dual 1 ohm
Stock electrical system with 5 gauge power wire and alternator/ground power wire upgrade
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
"Enclosure Types:
When laying out a system, you need to decide what type of enclosure to use. Some people believe that a certain type of enclosure can magically increase the output of a woofer. The best an enclosure can do is to allow the woofer to produce what it's capable of producing. A poorly designed enclosure essentially works against the speaker to prevent it from producing its maximum output. A good enclosure works with the speaker to allow it to produce its maximum output. It's also a bit of a myth that bandpass enclosures make woofers produce far more output than other enclosures. They cannot. Look at it this way... If you had a bucket of sand, you could pile it high or spread it out over a wider area. It can't be both tall and wide. There's a limited amount of sand. It's essentially the same with speakers. You can build a bandpass enclosure to produce a tall peak or a wider flatter response. You can't have both.
A sealed enclosure will be the smallest (for a given response shape) and will have good low frequency extension but may not have the best low frequency extension. If space is limited, this may be your best choice.
A ported enclosure will generally have a better low frequency extension for a given response shape (alignment) but would require a larger enclosure. If you made the enclosure as small as the sealed enclosure but ported it to gain the low frequency response, the output would deviate from the desired flat response.
A bandpass enclosure can sound good and give you a flat response but most of the generic bandpass enclosures are not designed for a flat response. They are designed to impress you in the stores. This means that they are built to produce a large peak at some frequency near 60hz. These enclosures will work well with something like rap music but generally won't sound good with other types of music. If you use a bandpass enclosure, it should be designed specifically for your speakers.
If you're building your first system, I'd recommend a sealed enclosure. It is the simplest enclosure and will be the easiest to get right. A sealed enclosure only needs to be the right size and well sealed."
copied straight from THIS WEBSITE which is a good source of basic information. the type and design of the box in combination with the individual sub determines what frequencies are audible. if you arent getting anything below 45Hz then you are in the wrong box.
what is the point of having a sub woofer to fill in the low frequency audio if you are just going to stick it in a box that totally eliminates the low frequencies and makes it perform like a giant mid bass? you arent even giving the sub a chance to perform based on an assumption which is based on one or two bad experiences with small subs in a ported box.
dont get me wrong, ive had a few bandpass boxes in my days and they sounded alright for some rap and dance music but i got tired of hearing the subs hitting nice and then drop to nothing when the bass went too low even though other normal systems would hit those notes easily. i would rather hear clean bass, barely audible or not, than hear barely audible distortion.
c280bump 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
I recommended bandpass OR sealed. The only reason I recommended bandpass was because this is a very low power subwoofer and if you add it to a good factory system like mine, in a sealed or ported enclosure it just doesnt add enough definition for me. Honestly, it sounded louder and better in the sealed than ported but it performs the best in bandpass.
And Ill explain why again, because this subwoofer in any enclosure is not going to hit the low notes good at all. It is a small subwoofer that is rated for 150wrms and is not meant for that.
And my P1 in my bandpass hits drum kicks in rock songs alot better than a sealed box so no its not just good for rap music. Im sure the frequency response will vary from box to box depending on its tune, but the 2.2cu bandpass I have for this subwoofer is almost perfect for it. Like I said, that 50-65hz is where this subwoofer is going to perform best because of its size and the fact that it doesnt take as much power to reproduce those frequencies as it does with 30-40hz power of which this subwoofer will not be able to handle. Iv done sweeps with this subwoofer numerous times, and anything below 40hz will be inaudible without pushing it past its limits because its too small to accurately reproduce those kinds of waves.
If you want bass in the 40hz range, go with 12 inch not 10. 10 inch subwoofers are generally not made for that unless you get a higher power one.
(1) 15 Fi BL dual 1 ohm
c280bump 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2012 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
Here is a video made when I had it in my car playing some coheed and cambria:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaOCEwyB-9Q&feature=g-upl
(1) 15 Fi BL dual 1 ohm
soundnsecurity 
Posted: September 05, 2012 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  
i tell you what, i just happen to have an 8" P1 sitting at my shop doing nothing. ill build a 32Hz ported box for it and stick it on my 1800 watt PPI at 8ohms which should give it about 250 watts.
im not going to tell you that it will blow my ears out but the low end response will exist. if the subwoofer is even half way decent then it should sound fine. ill put it through the paces, rock, metal, rap, dance, acoustic, etc and ill see what i come up with.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2012 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  

c280bump wrote:
I recommended bandpass OR sealed. The only reason I recommended bandpass was because this is a very low power subwoofer and if you add it to a good factory system like mine, in a sealed or ported enclosure it just doesnt add enough definition for me. Honestly, it sounded louder and better in the sealed than ported but it performs the best in bandpass.
And Ill explain why again, because this subwoofer in any enclosure is not going to hit the low notes good at all. It is a small subwoofer that is rated for 150wrms and is not meant for that.
And my P1 in my bandpass hits drum kicks in rock songs alot better than a sealed box so no its not just good for rap music. Im sure the frequency response will vary from box to box depending on its tune, but the 2.2cu bandpass I have for this subwoofer is almost perfect for it. Like I said, that 50-65hz is where this subwoofer is going to perform best because of its size and the fact that it doesnt take as much power to reproduce those frequencies as it does with 30-40hz power of which this subwoofer will not be able to handle. Iv done sweeps with this subwoofer numerous times, and anything below 40hz will be inaudible without pushing it past its limits because its too small to accurately reproduce those kinds of waves.
If you want bass in the 40hz range, go with 12 inch not 10. 10 inch subwoofers are generally not made for that unless you get a higher power one.

This is just not correct.  I have a system made with 10's that will hit below 20Hz all day long.

Support the12volt.com
c280bump 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2012 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
And are they 150wrms subs? I doubt it. Its completely correct. A 10 inch subwoofer cannot accurately produce 20hz, no matter what subwoofer it is. It can however, if it can handle the power required to go that low which this subwoofer cannot.
(1) 15 Fi BL dual 1 ohm
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic