icon

rgb7 color dimmable/strobe led

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
efcase 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2012 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  

I have a pilot 7color led kit im trying to wire onto my bike. it works great but has a big goofy box that i cant mount anywhere and im not into the color changing idea,mainly want red. i pulled the box apart trying to just mount the push button on the bike and the control board under the seat, that didnt work great it just keeps flashing and chaning colors.

id like to delete the box all together i figure if i ground the (red wire it gives me the color red)  positive to the the battery and ground the ground it works how i want but kind of dim. now the box controls the dimmer, strobe and color change. i wouldnt mind having just a solid color as long as its brighter but if i could get the strobe that would be great.

Now any ideas on how this can be done? i'm very led illiterate!

efcase 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2012 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
before someone says exchange it, thought about exchanging it but i kinda got the kit for free..   the girl made a mistake i noticed when i left i guess it was my smile? i felt bad but i was already home 45mins away.
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2012 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
How many wires going from the box to the LED? 4-wires?
Using the box can you control the light to make it do what you want? I.E. constant bright Red?
If so, use a volt meter and measure the wires going to the LED strip. If it is 4-wire (assuming RGB leds) then you will have one of two configurations.
Constant +12v on one wire, 3 colors controlled via GND or Constant Gnd on one wire, and 3 color controlled by +12v.
Start with that and let us know what you learn. If the LEDs are already wired for +12v then you can eliminate the box and go from there.
efcase 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2012 at 3:08 AM / IP Logged  

awdeclipse wrote:
How many wires going from the box to the LED? 4-wires?
Using the box can you control the light to make it do what you want? I.E. constant bright Red?
If so, use a volt meter and measure the wires going to the LED strip. If it is 4-wire (assuming RGB leds) then you will have one of two configurations.
Constant +12v on one wire, 3 colors controlled via GND or Constant Gnd on one wire, and 3 color controlled by +12v.
Start with that and let us know what you learn. If the LEDs are already wired for +12v then you can eliminate the box and go from there.

believe its 4 or 5 wires. yes the box controls the strobe,color and brightness..  the thing is i already eliminated the box on one strip and i could get the color red to work if i ground the ground and red wire together and tap the power wire to the positive on the batt, but it is very dim..

i opened to box to extend and move the touch/adjustment panel outside the seat and the board under the seat but it seems like it no longer works. everytime i power the box it cycles the lights red,blue,green or it turns the strobes on by itself..

i searched and found a rgb box on ebay with a remote that would be great but can i use just any box? heres a link

http://www./itm/12A-RGB-Strip-light-Controller-12V-24V-Common-Anode-LED-Controller-w-Remote-Ctrl-/180935678556?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&hash=item2a209b5a5c

awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2012 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
Before you tear apart the working box you should try what I suggested, testing the wires on the working model and trying to duplicate the desired output on the strip you removed the box from.
If it is dimmer without the box, you are missing something.
Check your connections on the wiring used to extend the box, you may have miswired something.
Without knowing the spec/voltage of the strip you are using, it is hard to say if you can use any box with it.
RBG LED Controllers
Here are a few choices of controllers.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic