icon

focal 165 polykevlar

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xkillerx 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2012 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
Hello dear car audio friends! This is my first post here.
I am installing a set of Focal components I bought dirt cheap (yeah!) - Focal Polykevlar 165 into my 2001 Merceds Benz SLK.
Needless to say Focal uses much bigger magnets than the stock speakers so I had to drill new holes to be able to mount the fitting rings with speakers. I stuffed the doors with some foam behind the midbass spakers. But I am dissapointed with my bass response. Could it be because the adaptor rings are not sealed and thus I lack the compression effect of moved air needed for proper midbass response?
Here are install photos, and I will shoot a few videos and post links to them as well in the next few days.
focal 165 polykevlar - Last Post -- posted image.
xkillerx 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2012 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
Well the images do not show, and I cant find the option to edit my own post? Either way, here are the links to the photos:
lucasoil4u 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2012 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
lol yeah that is your problem speaker should sit flush in the door.
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2012 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  

I concur that your problem is what you suspected.

Find a way to seal around those speakers. For a quick and cheap solution you might be able to use some peices of PVC pipe that have an inside diameter close to the diameter of the speaker (~6") cut to lengths equal to the distance between the back of the speaker and the door and then use some great stuff or caulk to seal around the edges.

Take the foam out of your door unless you like the smell of mold too. Water will get in there and it will soak it up like a sponge. While your in the harware store go to the roofing section and pick up a roll of THIS and put some on the inside of the PVC pipe and liberally on your doors. One roll should completely cover both doors with an inch over lap.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions.

Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic