aftermarket or factory alarm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
radyogyrl 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2012 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
I am in need of some knowledge concerning car alarm systems. I have a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder- A/T that has an alarm system in it. The problem is, I have no idea if it's a factory alarm or aftermarket alarm. The alarm light is flashing continuously (even when I switch the button to off), and the truck will not start. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me determine which type of alarm it is, and how to remove it (or at least locate the brain so that I can start the vehicle if that is indeed the problem).
Thanks in advance
Always willing to learn something new.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2012 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Does it have a FOB? If so, if it isn't marked Nissan it isn't factory.
Either way it's removable, '94 was too early to integrate fully.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2012 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
All you probably have to do is to remove its fuse and rejoin the cut starter lead.
radyogyrl 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2012 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
There is no FOB, and I haven't a clue what the brain looks like. I am in the process of tracing the wires on the on/off switch but I tell you, it is getting on my nerves. I did remove the horn from under the hood, but that's as far as I've gotten. I have no idea which fuse controls the alarm.
radyogyrl 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2012 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for responding. Come to think of it, there is one 15A in-line fuse that is connected to the positive battery post. That is the only fuse I have not found on the wiring diagram.The fuse also runs to a 30A relay. Could that fuse possibly be for the alarm?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2012 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
It's up to you to look for it.
Unlikely, the only relay involved in the alarm is probably under dash and controls the starter cut.
Pull the 15 amp fuse and see what happens.
If the vehicle still doesn't start, look for the starter cut, under dash leading away from the ignition switch.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 23, 2012 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
The horn that you removed, follow the wire from the horn to the brain of the alarm. Disconnect all plugs from the brain. If it still does not start, we can tell you how to find the cut start lead that was mentioned above.
radyogyrl 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2012 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for your response. I will try to trace the horn wire tomorrow and see where it leads me. I'm a female and not familiar at all with car alarms, so I appreciate all the input I can get.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 23, 2012 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
What do you mean by it won't start? Does the starter motor not even try to turn the engine over? Or does the starter motor turn and the engine not fire up?
The next paragraph tells you how to bypass it if they used starter kill.
If you disconnect the brain and it will still not start, remove the lower dash cover panel so you can locate the wire harness that connects to the back end of the ignition switch. There should be a black wire with a yellow stripe that has been cut, both of the cut ends of that wire should be routed to a Relay. What needs to happen is the BLACK / YELLOW wire needs to be reconnected and the relay removed.
If they used Ignition kill, which I hope they did not, the cut wire will be a Black wire with a White stripe. This needs to be reconnected.
radyogyrl 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2012 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  
The starter motor does not even try to turn over. I am getting no warning lights on the dash. I am at a loss.
Page of 10

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic