icon

hooking up 508d to viper 5904?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bospet40 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2012 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, can someone help me. I want to hook up a 508d to my viper 5904. Can I hook it up wire color to wire color off the shock sensor as I read? Also the mounting position? in plain site? Thanks
shortcircuit161 
Silver - Posts: 556
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, you can wire the 508d color for color with the shock sensor.
Red - 12v
Black - Ground
Blue - Instant trigger
Green - Warn away
You should diode isolate them to prevent interference from each sensor. Standard 1-amp diodes (1N400x) will work. To do this, cut the current sensor wires (only the blue and green wires) and place diodes (band facing the sensors) on the end of each green and blue wire coming from the sensors. The side of the diode without the band goes to the alarm side. The 2 diodes on the green wires get connected to the green wire going to the alarm. Do the same with the diodes from the blue wire.
You can mount the 508d in plain sight if you wish. You want to mount it in the center point of your car inside. If you have a cover on your center console, you can stick it to that or even underneath the whole center console if it's plastic.
bospet40 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2012 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info shortcircuit I really appreciate it. One quick question? the shock sensor plug going into the alarm has 2 green wires that are looped, do I cut them? If so, do I connect the two cut green wires to the green diode wire coming from the 508d? Thanks again
shortcircuit161 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
You can cut that loop yes and connect them as you stated. You want to have independent connections with the green and blue wires from the sensors to allow the warn feature to work correctly.
bospet40 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2012 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, got it. Thanks again!
bospet40 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe a stupid question but  the diode is 1 amp but what voltage should I buy?
shortcircuit161 
Posted: October 15, 2012 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
You can get any of the 1N400x series. 1N4001-1N4007 will work great. The voltages vary slightly but those are the industry standard diodes used.
gpgtpchris 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2012 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  

I have to ask this....

Why are you re-creating the wheel by cutting wires, and splicing in diodes to the existing shock sensor, when you have a spare sensor port?

You have a dei alarm, and a dei sensor. Both have the same 4 wire connector for a plug and play (at least for up to 2 sensors like the shock and prox which is what you have)

Why dont you just plug the 508d into your spare sensor port (next to the thermistor, on opposite side of the H3 10 pin remote starter harness?

Take care,

Chris

bospet40 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2012 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  

Hey Chris, I wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel. My alarm (Viper 5904) clearly states that the Aux ports NOT to be used with the 508d or the likes because it can't handle the current draw ( like the older models) out of those ports. That's why I asked.

Peter

Don't know what the problem is yet... but I know what it's not.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2012 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
Someone on this site tried it with a 5704* and it worked.
If you're worried plug it in but route the red and black power and ground to the unit's red and black.
I can't see what the problem is because the 508d draws no more juice than say a shock sensor.
*AFAIK the only difference between a 5704 and a 5904 are the remotes.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic