icon

led angel eyes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2012 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
When I got my new 2011-BMW X5 in september 2010, I wasn't aware of the LED angel eyes, nor did my salesperson inform me, so I got mine without the LEDs. Now that I know of it and feel I have an ancient car, I was wondering if anyone tried or knows if I can change them myself or is that not a DIY job? I'm wondering of the availability of aftermarket leds that will fit my X5, as well as if there will be any voltage issues with the car's computer system.   ANy help would be greatly appreciated.
Mark
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2012 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  
I take it that you haven't googled that question.
The LEDs won't effect the vehicle's voltage.
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the response, and you are right, I haven't googled this question, my apologies.
I spent a few hours researching this last night, and finally purchased a kit that seemed good.
My concern still is that I don't want any radio interference, any flickering, and would like to have have the LEDs fade in/out when on/off like they now do.
They say no flicker and no fm-radio noise.   I will see as soon as I get them. Can't wait to install them this week.
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
Now that I purchased the latest LED light replacement I have a new concern. Will changing these bulbs to LEDs void my 6 year extended warranty? I don't want to ask this question to my dealer who might put a note to check my bulbs next time I go for the yearly service.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2012 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
Ask the dealer, or read the warranty conditions.
wyciwug 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2012 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
You mean you bought a set of LED angel eye bulbs? I do not think these will void warranty when bring in for service. They might not even know that you did not have LED before. They probably think your vehicle comes with it.
dcd
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2012 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
I am reading this now on my cellphone and hit reply to the email and when I realized the mistake I hit send by accident. So please ignore / delete my email to the12volt, which was the return address.
Now back to my topic. I bought LED replacement bulbs but these have a metal housing in line. Some sort of resistor I think, to fool the car computer into thinking it still has the own halogens.   
I don't know if the OEM has the type of bulb I am going to put or individual LEDs making a circle with small gaps in between. My OEM ring is based on fiber optic technology. Takes light and distributes to the "rings" with a full circle looking ring.   Will do some research online to see what the OEM looks like.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic