icon

4 6.5 mids, 2 tweeters to amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
basshead77 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2012 at 6:47 AM / IP Logged  
Hello Gentalmen....Can I hook up four 6.5 inch mids and two 1 inch tweeters to a AB class mono block amp?

If so...want kind of sound quality will i get? Thanks a ton.

basshead77
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
Depends on if the amp has the ability to crossover high enough. You can wire it as a 4ohm load (roughly, the tweeters will obviously change this to closer to 6 ohms or so), but of course you will lose stereo, and only have one channel playing. If you are repeating this on 2 sides of the car it should sound decent as long as the power handling (of both the speakers and the amp at that load) is considered, and like I said, the amp can be crossed over at a high enough frequency. Most mono amps do not have a high pass filter, or the high end range to work with tweeters. I am sure you will get some more in depth advice soon here 4 6.5 mids, 2 tweeters to amp? - Last Post -- posted image.
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
basshead77 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

Hey thanks for responding racerjames76......I knew it was a long shot. Heres a quick rundown bro....

two 6.5 kicker 2 way 60 rms, two fosgate 6.5 compt set with 1in tweets 65 rms

The amp is a kenwood 901D monoblock. The low pass filter goes to 200hrz. That was the only saving

grace that i thought would make this possible. There all running right now at about 20 watts rms. So i thought

anything would be better than that lol. Have a 05' 350Z coupe. Tell me what cha think bro. Thanks man4 6.5 mids, 2 tweeters to amp? - Last Post -- posted image.

basshead77
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2012 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
Will it work? Not likely. Can I recommend it? Not by a LONG shot. It's a Class D amplifier, and specifically designed as a SUBWOOFER amplifier, that's why the crossover only goes *UP TO* 200Hz. Anything below the indicated frequency is amplified and passed to the speaker attached, anything above (like mids and tweeters) is filtered out. That's what a "low-pass" crossover does. It "passes low frequencies". The built-in, and undefeatable low-pass crossover is HARDLY a "saving grace", and is exactly what makes your project *IMPOSSIBLE*. Plus, being a mono amplifier (I know... two terminal sets, right?) sums all the input signal to run a mono output, perfect for a subwoofer. It just has two sets of terminal to easily connect two woofers, there's still no right/left output.
Also, racerjames76, if there are passive crossovers inline, both high- and low- pass, then the impedance isn't figured the way you've figured it.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
racerjames76 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst is correct based on the setup you have. There are amps that can work this way, but it isn't recommended. The problem with your amp first of all is that is a low pass crossover meaning, everything below 200hz max will be passed along to the receiving speaker (sub as intended). So your tweets won't even get the full range they are capable of. At least not in any form you would want to listen to. A proper 4 channel amp has a high pass filter which allows the higher ranges to pass, and can block some of the low ranges. I have done several of those cars with an alpine MRX-V60 or MRX-V70. It is a very affordable 5 channel amp with a 300w sub channel. It would work nicely with your current kickers or anything higher as well and would allow you to add a sub too. It is a very good sounding, relatively inexpensive setup. It also takes up very little space which is at a premium in those cars. Otherwise you could just add a small 4 channel amp like a zx350.4 or similar, or even an alpine head unit power pack (ktp-445, though this isn't really adjustable).
racerjames76 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
Geez I didn't read all of haemphyst's post I explained the same thing that you explained again. lol sorry! 4 6.5 mids, 2 tweeters to amp? - Last Post -- posted image.
basshead77 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 3:28 AM / IP Logged  

Well thanks fellas. To be honest, I knew inside my small brain appearently that this would never work. lol.

Lookin at the damn thing all the time just got me to finally ask. Thx.

basshead77
basshead77 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2012 at 2:53 AM / IP Logged  

I have a JL Audio W7 10" 3 ohm SVC 750W rms and also have a memphis audio C3 Cast 12" (C312D4)     

4 ohm DVC 600W rms. I would like to hook them up to my Kenwood KAC-910D Monoblock. 500W rms at 

4 ohm and 900W rms at 2 ohm. My Questions are.....Can these subs be paired together? And what is the best

way to wire these subs?

basshead77
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2012 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, you can connect them. Depending on whether you connect the DVC driver with one VC (4-ohms, and most compatible with probably the closest output per driver), both voice coils but wired in series (8-ohms, safest overall, but the least compatible as far as driver output equality), or both voice coils but wired in parallel (2-ohms, incompatible completely), one or the other of the woofers will be louder than the other.
Will it work? Sure. Is it a recommended option? Not really. Is it a SAFE option? Perfectly. And finally, is it an *optimal* option? Not remotely. One driver or the other, but don't try to use both.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic