icon

remote start won't learn tach

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
c_hawks 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
I am installing a Viper 4704 remote start on my 2009 manual transmission 4 cycliner Tacoma. I have the TACH hard wired in at the DATA link connector to the BLACK/ white wire (pin 9). It will not learn the TACH when I go by the instructions. THe intructions say to start he vehicle using the key, within 5 sec press and hold the control button on the antenna, after 3 seconds the light on the antenna will go on constant when TACH is learned. The light after the button is pressed never comes on. What could be wrong? I have double checked the wire I connected to. I don't have a new control box for the 4704 remote start to hang test it to see if I got a bad box. I am at a loss.
C_Hawks
2009 Toyota Tacoma Access cab
4 cylinder, manual trans
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,787
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2012 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  

Is Vipers' H3/1 Pink Ignition1 wire properly connected to the BLACK/ Red Ignition wire at the Tacoma's ignition switch?

Are all four of the Vipers power wires ( H3/2, H3/5, H3/8 & H1/1 ) properly connected to a good +12V constant source?

Is the Vipers H1/2 Black Chassis Ground wire properly connected to a good, clean, solid chassis ground source?

Did you securely solder and insulate all of these connections?

Did you pull and ohm-out all of the Vipers fuses?

Soldering is fun!
c_hawks 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2012 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  

Will verify but yes on all accounts. Never hurts to check twice or more.

C_Hawks
4 cylinder, manual trans
c_hawks 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2012 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  

Yes all connections are good and fuse ohm out to .3

I hope it is not a bad component. Not sure if I can get a replacement without buying a new one. Is there away to test the box?

C_Hawks
4 cylinder, manual trans
c_hawks 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2012 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
There may be one thing  I may of missed. Now do I need a bitwriter 998U with the chip version 2.7 to program the unit for install? Would it make a difference? I mean could that me why it is not learning the TACH?
C_Hawks
4 cylinder, manual trans
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,787
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2012 at 5:05 AM / IP Logged  

You should also be able to program the Viper to Engine Sensing = Tach ( Menu 3 , Item 2, Opt 4 ) using the remotes.

Soldering is fun!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2012 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  
Check voltage from your unit ground to all of the constants after the fuse.
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2012 at 7:27 AM / IP Logged  
You could try reving up the RPM of the engine before pressing the button.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
auto enhancers 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
Did you test the "tach" wire at the data plug to be sure it is giving a tach signal?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 22, 2012 at 6:39 AM / IP Logged  
Here is how I would troubleshoot this, but please, please DON'T misunderstand-----I'm only saying how to TEST your installation. Please don't leave it in this "test" mode with your manual-transmission, as it would be totally unsafe.
1: Program unit for automatic transmission
2: Be sure unit is set in Virtual Tach mode, which should be the default.
3: Sit in driver's seat. Steering wheel straight, parking brake applied, no obstacles in front of car. You'll be fully seated in your normal driving position, ready to hit the brakes if anything goes wrong.
4: Try to get the remote starter working in automatic mode using Virtual Tach.
4A: If it works, good news---the rest of your installation is good. Now you can get back to worrying about your tach learning problem.
4B: If it won't crank, try stepping on the clutch. If that makes it work, troubleshoot whatever error is in your clutch interface.
4C: If the system won't work at all, troubleshoot all that, figure out why, get it working.
4D: Now that it works, get back to tach programming.
P.S. It's easy to get the wrong tach wire at the OBDII, especially since some manufacturers install them "upside down" in the car, and some of the diagrams show you the "wire side," and others the "connector side."
Google images of OBDII connector. The face of your connector is probably labled (very very small) in the corners with the pin numbers.
Tach is Pin 9, which, if you hold the connector with the wires facing away from you, and the "fat" side of the connector facing up......Pin 9 is the bottom left.
TIP: Pins 4 and 5 (top middle) are ground, Pin 16 (bottom right) is constant power. So even if your meter/test light/whatever isn't capable of testing for tach, at least you can test for constant and then you'll know which way to hold the plug in your hand while looking for tach.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic