basic keyless/remote start units

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
meltingplastic 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2012 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys,
So I've had a bunch of requests to do remote starts this winter (specifically on Hyundai's) and am looking for a good simple keyless/rs unit. I used to install dei 160xvs back in the day but this forum doesn't seem to high on dei anymore. What do you recommend look into? I would prefer something with built in antigrind(hate the bulkiness of an added relay) since these cars dont have anti grind but if that's not an option anymorr I'll have to deal(i know the new dei products I've put in don't have it anymore)
Let me know.. just looking to save some friends some money and ease my holiday shopping bills.
Driving a Bagged, Caddied 02 s10
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2012 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  

Most basic R/S w/Keyless units do not include an internal Anti-Grind relay.  Assuming basic means one-way

remotes with decent range, trunk pop but limited AUX outputs and programming options with a price point
around $50. 

A couple I have used and can recommend are Ultra Start U1272 and Compustar CS600-s.  Of course this is a

very subjective opinion based on familiarity and experiences. Every installer has his/her favorite.  Additional
notes to be included are, I always go W2W with the bypass module and use Tach sensing mode for remote starting. 
I have found that most any major name brand will function OK when installed properly. 

Each vehicle install is different and you most consider the vehicles needs and match that to the R/S's

capabilities.  Things like number of Ignition, Starter & Accessory wires that need to be powered, AUX outputs
for sliding doors or double pulse disarm output can make one system more appropriate for a certain vehicle
than another.  

Bought in lots of 25 or 50, Bosch style 30/40 Amp SPDT relays with 5 wire harness can be had for under $2 each.

Soldering is fun!
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2012 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
i install mostly prestige 997C remote starters, very reliable, all relays are onboard, decent keypads although the range isnt phenomenal. i like DEI too, i have a viper 5901 on my own truck and i have no complaints except that the keypads arent well built so i bought a python keypad (python is a off brand of viper)to replace the viper remote. my biggest problem with DEI is that they are not worth the money you pay for them compared to other alarm systems because they have the same common problems as any other extended range alarm system.
meltingplastic 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with tge 5901 fobs being junk... even switching to python i was going through a fob every 9-12 months hence why it's now sitting in a bag after i removed it when i traded in my truck a few months ago for something with factory remote start(hello onstar app!)
Kreg your description hit it spot on hence why the 160 or even the 4401? From avital works great for me as i learned on deis back in like 2000 but if i can help friends with a cheaper unit thats not some junk Chinese brand i try to help them(would be nice if they helped me and asked for these installs in the not so cold months... but hence why it is remote start season). Where is the best place to buy relays in bulk? Ive been doing about 2 installs a year the past 5 years compared to when i was in college doing 2 a weekend so buying in bulk and have product sit in my closet in my apartment is kind of rough
Driving a Bagged, Caddied 02 s10
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2012 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
nothing wrong with avital either, i installed a ton of them when i worked for circuit city back in the day.
shortcircuit161 
Silver - Posts: 556
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2012 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
I've installed a ton of Avital units and recently starting also installing Crimestopper Prostart units. Both have worked great. I've been using the Avitals for over 3 years now without issue.
The DEI bypasses are more an issue in my opinion. I use strictly idatalink and sometimes Fortin bypass modules.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic