icon

viper 5704 remote start issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mplex2000 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2012 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
I've done remote start before without issues, not sure what's going on with this one.
Stats:
Viper 5704
2003 Acura RSX TypeS
(Immobilizer disabled at ECU and key unit unplugged)
I've double checked the wiring, confirmed that it's set for ACC2, set for manual mode, and it sets successfully when shutting off the car.
When you try to remote start, it will just continually power up the car, then off, then on, then off, etc. Parking lights come on, engine fan, etc, but it never starts and never gives an error flash.
Any ideas?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,789
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  

Here are a few wild guesses.  ( In no particular order.)

1.   H3/9 RED / Black not connected to +12V.        Verify connection with DMM.

2.   H3/9 RED / Black 30 Amp fuse blown.  Test removed fuse with DMM in Ohms setting.
3.   Clutch interlock switch not bypassed properly.        Manually depress clutch during R/S attempt.

Soldering is fun!
shortcircuit161 
Silver - Posts: 556
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2012 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
I'm also thinking clutch switch. You already have tach connected, since it won't go into ready mode without a hardwired tach connection. No immobilizer). It's taking over when exiting the vehicle to put it into ready mode, so wiring "should" be correct.
x2 with kreg, try pressing the clutch switch when remote starting.
You can also try running a shutdown diagnostic.
mplex2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2012 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
#3 you got it, THANK YOU.
I tried that first, as it reminded me that I thought it was strange that the wiring guide I used from ClubRSX said the clutch wire wasn't used. Now I have to go look at that thing for the 100th time and see what I missed/misunderstood.
Much appreciated, now I won't be freezing leaving in the morning when I stay at the girlfriend's house...and have to park outside!
mplex2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2012 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, now another question. Looks like people are using a the status output (-) wire from the alarm to activate a relay that bypasses the clutch switch for remote start. Since it's ground...can't you just run that status output wire straight to the clutch switch?
shortcircuit161 
Silver - Posts: 556
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2012 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
The clutch switch usually splits the connection from the ignition switch start wire to the starter solenoid under the hood and needs either a strong ground or 12v signal. If using a ground signal, the status output (or any other negative output) of a remote starter can only handle about 200-500 mA and is not powerful enough to run the starter solenoid.
Using a relay allows a stronger signal to activate that starter solenoid without damaging the remote starter. Also, test the wires at the clutch switch to make sure you don't need 12v instead of a negative trigger.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2012 at 3:40 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry for the ignorance, we don't normally have clutch switches in Europe but on Hondas don't you just run the R/S starter output to the clutch switch 12v+ output?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,789
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2012 at 5:20 AM / IP Logged  
On the 2006 style Honda Civic,  it was an Orange wire in a Yellow Plug at the clutch pedal. ( Haven't done any M/T Acura's.)   It needed a low current (-) signal and I usually used the Compustars (-) Starter Output wire directly connected.  Always pays to test and the surest way is to use a relay with Pin 87 on the interlocks' input wire and Pin 30 going to the interlock switches output wire.
Soldering is fun!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2012 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  
Also be careful if the vehicle has factory cruise, there might be a second switch/connector at the clutch to disable the cruise on changing gear.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic