icon

max number of relays on one aux output?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eddiebx 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2012 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, out of curiosity would anyone know roughly how many relays I can hook up to the AUX outputs on my Viper alarm?
According to the manual the defroster output is rated at 200ma ground, and I have 3 separate factory relays that I would like to trigger if it's possible. These relays are factory Toyota relays which appear to be made by Denso (light blue in color and about half the width of a typical automotive relay).
They are for the rear defroster, heater mirrors and front wiper de-icer, and I was hoping to trigger all 3 simultaneously.
I searched a bit and could not find any spec sheets on this type of relay so I have no clue how much the coil current is....
Would it hurt the alarm to just hook up all three and see if it's enough to drive them? I'm leaning towards maybe a bad idea?
I guess I could just use the defroster output to trigger a relay which then can trigger the three factory ones?
Just brain storming out loud, I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks!
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2012 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
it would be best to trigger one relay, then use diodes on the output of that relay to isolate each of the devices needed to be activated.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 01, 2012 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
If you can pull a relay out and measure the resistance of the coil you can calculate the current required to energize it (voltage = current x resistance)
A 200mA output is pretty low. I would follow Ween's advice and only power one relay off of the output. You can either diode isolate like Ween suggested or run virtually as many relays by powering their coils through the contacts of the first relay.
Kevin Pierson
eddiebx 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2012 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the suggestions, I don't even know why I didn't think to just measure the resistance of the relay coil!
I think am just going to go with your suggestions and first drive a relay and then isolate with diodes.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2012 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  
I think they are Omron "half" cube relays, Mitsubishi use the same but black.
They have identical properties as the "normal" Bosch/Tycho type.
Go with Kevin's post, one relay to trigger the others.
Diodes mandatory or say goodbye to the Viper output and lock board.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic