icon

2006 impala factory xm antenna

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
raylo 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2012 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  

I am going to be installing a new head unit in a relative's car over the holidays - 2006 Chevy Impala SS, has non-Bose factory stereo.  I want to use the factory XM antenna to connect up to the new head unit's Sirius-XM receiver.  TSS Radio makes single plug and dual plug adapters to convert XM antenna plugs to Sirius-XM but I don't know if the Impy has a single or dual plug end.  Also, where does the factory Impy XM antenna plug in, directly to the factory head unit or did GM use a separate XM receiver module (if so, where is it?)?

Thanks,

Ray

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2012 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
The factory XM antenna uses a single connector at the XM module located in the passenger side of the trunk. It is behind the passenger side wheel well.
sparky
raylo 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2012 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply, Sparky.  What would be the best way to connect the factory antenna to this Sirius-XM module and then to the new head unit?  Maybe the way to do it is to use the TSS adapter and mount the new Sirius XM receiver in the trunk then run a long cable from the receiver to the head unit?  I wonder what length cable it comes with? Is there a chance that the cable from the factory XM receiver to the factory head unit can be reused to connect the new Sirius-XM receiver to the new head unit (probably a Kenwood or Pioneer that is Sirius-XM ready)?

http://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SXV200v1-Connect-SiriusXM-Ready-Receivers/dp/B007T0NM2M

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2012 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know if anyone makes an adaptor cable that plugs into the factory XM antenna lead and converts to an aftermarket connector. I would doubt it. I would suggest using the antenna that comes with the satellite kit. The XM antenna cable for the GM unit could be rerouted somewhat and run forward. The cables for the new satellite receiver to radio won't be that long (usualyy 3 feet or so). Mount the new antenna on the roof and use good foam 2-way tape to adhere it. It isn't that bad looking. Mount it on the front just above the windshield. You can use the rubber moulding around the windshield to hide the wire.
sparky
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2012 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
the satellite radio antenna connector is a FAKRA connector, which is a keyed and color coded housing over a SMB connector. how much cable length do you need?
raylo 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2012 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  

Not sure exactly how long I need since I don't have the car here.  Trying to plan for all this before I get down there.

TSS Radio ( http://www.tss-radio.com/) sells antenna extension cables and GM to XM-sirius adapters.  So I guess I'll get those and try to run the extension cable from the trunk through to the back seat floor then along the running board to the front kick and on to the head unit.  If that looks to be too difficult I could do as Sparkie suggests and just use the supplied mag/stick-on XM-Sirius antenna with some mounting tape and run its cable in the windshield molding.  But I'd much rather use the factory antenna to keep the factory look.

I'll also be installing a backup cam, probably on the license plate but I may look at placing it higher like on the spoiler since I think the view is better from that angle.  Then maybe run it's cable in through the high mount light into the trunk and following the XM antenna on to the head unit.  If that looks too hard then I'll just do the license platemount and run the cable under the body and in through the firewall grommet.

Hard to know until  I actully get to look at the car in detail.

racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2012 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  

Never hurts to be prepared and ask questions. I have never had any luck finding an adapter to go from factory antennas to "aftermarket" either, so if you get this working please let us know.

I can also make another suggestion, to mount the supplied antenna. I did this on a new Camaro where the spoiler was solid all the way across the trunk lid. I stuck the antenna right in front of the spoiler to the top of the trunk lid with the wire facing the rear. I was able to very carefull put a small notch in the bottom of the spoiler itself to allow the wire to come up under between the spoiler and deck lid, and then route the cable following the third brake light wiring down into the trunk and to the back seat. After that it is easy. This gave a great signal and didn't take away from the car at all. Customer was very happy. 2006 impala factory xm antenna -- posted image.

To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2012 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  

Just noticed that the Impala has a dual post design spoiler...Just a random thought and it may be more work than it is worth, but maybe, just maybe...Is there space inside the spoiler say above the 3rd brake light to hide the entire antenna INSIDE the spoiler? Reception shouldn't suffer too much if the antenna is as close to the top as possible. Should be easy enough to fish the wire along with the brake wiring and use a factory grommet through the trunk lid. 2006 impala factory xm antenna -- posted image.

Derp, sorry the brake light is on the back of the trunk lid not the spoiler. Nevermind

To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
raylo 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2012 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I had thought the brake light was on the spoiler, too.  But not.  What I might do tho is place the backup cam on the bottom surface of the spoiler then use body colored tape to cover the wire over to a spoiler post, then drill/grommet/silicone into the post and run the wire down into the trunk and forward from there.  We'll see....
raylo 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2012 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the tips, James.  I need to redo the install on my Camaro (1994 Z28).  I glued the antenna inside under the glass hatch.  Reception is OK but not perfect and I get some occassional dropouts.

On the adapter issue, TSS sells these cool adapters that let me use my Toyota Tacoma factiory XM antenna (All Tacomas in 2009 came with the antenan even if you didn't get a head unit that had satellite) for my XM install.  On one end it has a connector that plugs directly into the Toyota junction box connector and the other into the XM receiver.  A little $$ but it let me use the factory antenna with my aftermarket XM.  Sweet.  http://www.tss-radio.com/products/lexus-gs-shark-fin-antenna-adapter

Here are their GM adapters that include wired and plug GM to XM-sirius.

http://www.tss-radio.com/products/search/gm-sirius-adapter

racerjames76 wrote:

Never hurts to be prepared and ask questions. I have never had any luck finding an adapter to go from factory antennas to "aftermarket" either, so if you get this working please let us know.

I can also make another suggestion, to mount the supplied antenna. I did this on a new Camaro where the spoiler was solid all the way across the trunk lid. I stuck the antenna right in front of the spoiler to the top of the trunk lid with the wire facing the rear. I was able to very carefull put a small notch in the bottom of the spoiler itself to allow the wire to come up under between the spoiler and deck lid, and then route the cable following the third brake light wiring down into the trunk and to the back seat. After that it is easy. This gave a great signal and didn't take away from the car at all. Customer was very happy. 2006 impala factory xm antenna -- posted image.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic