icon

viper 5904 range 1 mile? not quite

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2012 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
On the older Viper units if you coiled the antenna wire up it would kill the range. I'm not sure if that is still true with newer models. We used to make sure we ran the antenna wire the longest possible route to avoid bunching the wire up. Made a HUGE difference.
Kevin Pierson
greeky510 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2012 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
I was thinking about soldering a very thin copper wire to the antenna/control center and running it all around the windshield. What do you guys think?
eddiebx 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2012 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:
On the older Viper units if you coiled the antenna wire up it would kill the range. I'm not sure if that is still true with newer models. We used to make sure we ran the antenna wire the longest possible route to avoid bunching the wire up. Made a HUGE difference.
Do you think that this would still be the case for the newer SST antennas? From how I am understanding them, it's basically just a serial data connection between the antenna unit and alarm brain.
All the transceivers and other antenna gizmos are in the antenna unit itself, so how the cable providing power and data is routed shouldn't really matter?
You've got me curious though because I have the excess cabling for my 5704 antenna rolled up in a bundle and tempted to unravel it to see how much farther it may or may not work viper 5904 range 1 mile? not quite - Page 2 -- posted image.
rbimdxe 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2012 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
Lol I think there was a post by Howie in here that got deleted? Guess he couldn't get away with it in the end Lol.
Car is a 2000 WRX.
Rear and side windows tinted at 35% and non-metalised tint film used.
No dramas getting GPS signals through front or rear windscreen (fixed GPS antennas on both for in-car GPS and GPS tracking).
I'm going to have another play with it this week and see how it goes.
Also in relation to the above posts; antenna wire (6 pin ribbon cable to antenna unit) is run the full length and not doubled over at all, let alone coiled/bunched up.
lurch228 
Silver - Posts: 1,338
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2012 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
The SST antenna'a run on the 900mhZ Spectrum if there are any celluar antenna towers that are close that run on the same freq. could also effect range. Or you could have a bad antenna or remote also. The IDEN Sprint/Nextel celluar networks run on 800 and 900mhZ in the US and cause a lot of issues if the tower is close. I have a cordless home phone that is 900mhz and only works good up to 25 feet from the base before the signal starts breaking up as I am a less than a mile from a IDEN tower.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic