icon

possible bad amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bkearney 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2013 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
So I'm having a similar issue... i have a JL 500/1 and about two weeks ago my battery was completely drained, somewhat out of the blue,.. then after a jump it was fine for a week or so,.. then completely drained again. I ended up replacing the battery a few days ago because it was 5 years old anyway.
Now. Somewhere in the middle of all this, the 500/1 quit working. (not sure exactly when, but definitely in the last week or so)
after not using the car for a couple of days, ive noticed the new batter is a little weak so heres where im at...
I noticed the 500/1 is warm and my other amp was not (car hasnt been on in 24 hours). so im assuming the amp is drawing a current...
ive made sure the remote wire is not touching the positive lead. The amp lights turn off when the car is off, and on when the car is on, but the amp isnt working. I havent had a chance to test anything yet, but just wanted to see what everyones thoughts were, and icebergslim, is your amp warm when its been off?
sorry for the sidetrack, and long post... thanks for the help!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 02, 2013 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
A JL Slash series amp will light up with ground and power on the remote wire. No 12v necessary on the power terminal. It being warm would lead me to believe that the power supply inside the amp is faulty.
Make sure the signal sense switch is in the off position.
icebergslim 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2013 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  

No my amp was cold still...I think mine was just a dead main battery and it killed my power cell.  Does is still get warm without the remote plugged in (just to rule that wire out as causing the problem)?

bkearney 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2013 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the responses,... i havent tried disconecting the remote wire, but the power light on the amp does turn off when the ignition is off, so i assumed it wasnt the remote wire... I also made sure the signal sense switch was set to off. For the time being, i have just disconnected the amp, but when i have a little time this weekend, i will start testing some things. My main issue at the moment is that even when its on, its doesnt play.
fuster 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2013 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
I suggest removal of the amplifier from the car and test for current draw on a battery on the bench top. That way there are not any other sources to interfere with finding out if the amp draws current with the power on wire not attached.
Chronic, late stage optimist.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic