icon

Will This Work?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ucantbeme 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
Okay I have 2 DVC 2 ohm subwoofers and 2 1200 watt amps that are both 1 ohm stable. Okay if I wire 1 set of positives and negatives from one sub to another set of positive and negative on the other sub and then to the amp, the amp will see that load as a 1ohm load right? And I'm going to do the same thing for the other positives and negatives on the subs. Will this all work and will there be 2400 watts going to each sub and will it be a 1 ohm load on each amp?
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

are the amps two channel or mono? bridgeable or not? i am also assuming the amps are exactly alike?. these wuestions need to be answered before a reccomendation can be made.

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
It will not work you cannot bridge 2 amps together like that! But if you have a sub and each coil is 2 ohm and you wire it in parallel + to + and - to - then it will present the amp with a 1 ohm load. that will give the sub 1200 watts which is the same as 2400 watts X 2 subs. So to sum it all up  wire 1 amp to one sub and wire them in parallel, do the same for the other sub and amp ,and you will get 1200 watts into each sub which is the same thing as 2400 watts going into 2 subs.
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

the only reason that i wanted to know if the amps were the same is because i wanted to make sure that two different amps would make two of the same speakers sound different even if they were the same wattage.

bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
The top diagram here http://www.audiobahninc.com/tech/wiring/parallel_parallel_dual_2.pdf shows you how to wire each sub to each amp. Now just to be sure it’s a 2 ohm DVC and that the diagram above is correct ,what is the make and model # of your subs.
ucantbeme 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
ucantbeme 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
2 Audiobahn AW1208Q, sorry i can't get my diagram of what i'm talking about to show up
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
The best way to do it to maximize your power would be to run each sub off its own amp and wire the voice coils in parallel. Even if you could bridge the 2 amps into one and you gave both subs 2400 watts they would still only get 1200 watts a piece. 
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
Those are some nice subs I used them in my last set up. Are you going to put them in a sealed or vented enclosure (nothing to do with your question)? Also what kind of amps will you be using?
ucantbeme 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2003 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
i made a sealed and a ported enclosure and i like how they sound in the ported enclosure better, the only thing i like about the sealed enclosure is that they hit harder but with the ported enclosure you can really feel the bass . there are 2 JBL 1200.1.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic