icon

01 explorer sport trac compustar

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
prdjr165 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2013 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
I installed a compustar CM4200 with a Key Override all in a 2001 explorer sport trac,everything seemed to go well untill i remote started the vehicle-it will start and run for about 10 seconds then shut off and then the alarm triggers.I had to program the Compustar to un-lock before start to avoid this.it seems to work that way but i was wondering if there was something i overlooked during the install.Tach was learned successfully to.
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2013 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
yes you need to hook up the factory disarm wire from the computstar to the disarm wire in the car. it'll be in the drivers kick panel (-) Dark GREEN/ Purple. It will test as a negative as turning the key to unlock in the door key cylinder outside the car. I think there are more then one of that color down there, but only one will test off the key cylinder.
Then you can turn off unlock before start on the compustar.
The most common reason why the car will only run for 10 seconds is the TACH wire. Either you need to have it hooked up to your car because tachless isn't working, or the wire you have is incorrect or needs to be reprogrammed. The Tach wire is at the ignition control module at the top back of the engine near where the windshield wipers are. You can use any wire that is tan with a strip in it. Also you can find it behind the instrument cluster tan / YELLOW
prdjr165 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2013 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
i looked evrywhere in the drivers kick panel and even the harness coming in from the door and couldn't find any dk grn/ppl wires,so i tested the truck by locking the door before closing it -waiting a couple minutes then reaching in and unlocking the door and opening it,nothing happened so i determined that there's no factory alarm.
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2013 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged  
If the car doesn't have a factory alarm then the disarm wire will not be there. You might have an aftermarket add on alarm. While installing the remote starter did you see any aftermarket items attached or any other wires spliced into?
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
Does the vehicle have a chipped key? If so, what bypass did you use? It sounds to me like maybe the immobilizer is being triggered and that is setting off the alarm. To test for a chipped key either wrap the head of the key completely in tin foil and try starting it, or pick up a cheap $2 metal key and see if that will start it (and run it for at least 30 seconds).
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic