icon

passive crossover mounting locations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pv13 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2013 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  
I am planning to install two sets of polk audio's dxi 6500 component speakers in my cousin's 2002 Volkswagen Jetta this weekend, and I am wondering where I should mount the passive crossovers. The factory speakers and tweeters are all located in the doors.So....
Should I mount them in the doors? If so, should I use bolts or velco/double sided tape?
Would under the dash or behind the kickpanels work?
If the door panels are not recommended, where should I mount the crossovers for the rear door speakers?
This is my first time installing components, so I just want to make sure I do it right the first time.
Thanks
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2013 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
mount the crossovers anywhere you want as long as they dont get wet. i try to think about how easy it will be to run the wires to the crossover and that usually wins the debate on where to mount the crossovers.
pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for the reply,
The easiest place would be the doors, but is that the best place? I live in Western Washington, so unfortunately, moisture will always be an issue, but I am also concerned with mounting them to a surface (doors) that is continually being opened and closed. If I did mount them there, what is the best method?
If I decided to secure the crossovers behind the kick panels instead, would the signal wires from the passive crossovers interfere with various power wires to introduce noise into the system?
Thanks
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
mounting them inside the doors is probably the easiest location because you wouldnt have to run any wires through the door boot. if you mounted them in the kickpanel then depending on where you mount the tweeter you will have to run an extra wire into the door through the rubber door boot.
in any car moisture is an issue but as long as the crossover isnt being soaked with water then it should handle it. if it is that big of a problem then wrap it in a plastic bag before you mount it. be careful of any moving parts inside a door too.
the crossover should have some holes in it where you can shoot a screw through. you might have to pull the cover off to see the holes. other than that i have used zip ties and double stick tape to mount crossovers.
pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Great! If there is a good spot in the doors, I will install them there.
Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic